Monday, January 28, 2008

Chilala denies having presidential ambitions

Chilala denies having presidential ambitions
By Lambwe Kachali
Monday January 28, 2008 [03:00]

RENOWNED Mkushi farmer and businessman Costain Chilala has said he has no presidential ambitions and he is not interested in joining politics. Commenting on speculations that he had ambitions to succeed President Levy Mwanawasa in 2011, Chilala said he enjoyed business life bettter than being a politician.

Chilala said many people had approached him to get into active politics but he is not interested because he enjoys being in business. He said he was scared of getting into politics because of the nature of the profession.

He said although he was a successful businessman and farmer and could manage to run the affairs of the nation, he did not want to disturb enjoying the fruits of his private life.

"For now I have no plans of getting into politics. I am busy enjoying what I am doing as a businessman. I don't dream of becoming a politician one day. I actually love being in private life," Chilala said.
He said business life was far much better than politics.

He said politics required a lot of psychological preparation.
"Entering politics is another step. You don't just wake up one morning and say 'I want to become a politician and become Republican president'. You first need to be prepared both psychologically and otherwise.
Being a politician demands a combination of different factors for which I am not ready at all. I am a businessman and I think I have to continue with what I am doing," he said.

Chilala said Zambia was not short of people to succeed President Mwanawasa.

He said if he had presidential ambitions as most MMD members and Zambians at large thought, he would have already announced his candidature.

"Why waste time to inform the people. In fact, when time comes for me to get into politics, I will tell the whole nation. You will not even ask me. I will inform the nation myself. But this is not to say that I am planning to join politics. No! Time has not yet come. For now, I have no plans (of joining politics) whatsoever," he stressed.

Asked if he had been approached by any politicians, especially from the ruling MMD or made any consultations towards getting into active politics, Chilala said although he had been in touch with most politicians he had never made political consultations.

"I don't think politics is part of my life. Maybe in future. If I had political ambitions, I should have made some consultations. But I am not. I will just continue to contribute to national development outside government. After all, it's all the same and sometimes even better," said Chilala.

Chilala's name has occassionaly come up among those likely to succeed President Mwanawasa.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home