Friday, January 04, 2008

Levy is being advised wrongly, says Chirwa

Levy is being advised wrongly, says Chirwa
By Lambwe Kachali
Friday January 04, 2008 [03:00]

PRESIDENT Levy Mwanawasa is being advised wrongly about me, MMD presidential aspirant Professor Clive Chirwa has charged. And Prof Chirwa is seeking a meeting with President Mwanawasa in order to present his political and economic vision for the country. And finance deputy minister Jonas Shakafuswa has disassociated himself from supporting Prof Chirwa for MMD presidency.

Meanwhile, MMD spokesperson Ben Tetamashimba has accused Prof Chirwa of ignoring President Mwanawasa at an airport in Germany when he (President Mwanawasa) went there for a state visit.

Reacting to MMD spokesperson Ben Tetamashimba who warned to bar him from the convention if he continued to be stubborn over the party presidency, Prof Chirwa said it was now clear that President Mwanawasa was being wrongly advised about him.

Prof Chirwa said his political and economic vision for Zambia was long term, built to eradicate poverty, corruption and make the country proud.

He said it was important that he met President Mwanawasa to clear the air.
“I therefore request His Excellency to meet up with me so that I can present to him about myself, my vision and how I want to continue with his legacy and everything he has started economically and politically,” Prof Chirwa said.

“My vision is long term and is built to eradicate poverty, corruption and make our nation smiling again right down to those in compounds. I ask His Excellency once again to listen to me. I am prepared to meet His Excellency anytime when he is not occupied.

If he tells me that the person he has in mind has better vision for our party and country than me, I will stand by that person and help him/her win the third term for MMD.”

He said he supported President Mwanawasa’s economic policies and he was ready to improve on where he would stop.

“If I was to be president I will continue on and move far much further so that the job he started could be realised in such a way that he will feel very proud as the initiator. I would like to guarantee his well being as the President of Zambia,” he said.

Prof Chirwa also said he did not believe in political revenge, especially against former presidents.

He said former presidents should be respected and have a pension that would allow them to further represent the country as senior mentors.

On his membership, Prof Chirwa said he joined the MMD during its inception except that he was not a paid up member with a card.

“I have been MMD. My father (Mr E Chirwa) has been and he is still the MMD chairman for the Katuba Ward (Kabanana area) since the party was created.

I have supported the party morally. The card was sold to me at Lusaka district and the card was printed by the district secretary and signed by the district chairman who presented it to me with other executive members of the district. According to me, I am a fully paid up member.

I do not need to go to the NEC to buy an MMD card for it to be recognised. On the day I bought my card, there were thousands of other Zambians who became members. Are all these people not recognised? Why is my joining different?” he asked.

Prof Chirwa further said it was unfortunate that some people were insinuating that he was a foreigner from Malawi.

“There are rumours which are being spread by the same people saying that my parents and I come from Malawi. This is not true. I have already on several occasions tried not to discuss this. Since His Honourable Minister of Information has raised this once again, then I would like to put this to rest.

My village is Nyada near Mugubudu located between Chipata and Lundazi, and not in Malawi. My father moved from here to work on the Copperbelt where I was born and grew up,” Prof Chirwa said.

He said if the convention would be held before 2010, he would still attend it as a delegate and seek office at lower levels of responsibility.

“But if we go by the book of our constitution (MMD), anybody within the party can stand. The democratic forces will be able to choose the best person for the job. That person will present his/her case to the delegates and to the nation as a whole,” Prof Chirwa said.

“If we do not go through this route, we will be seen as not being transparent and that will greatly jeopardise our election prospects. Remember, we have been in power for many years.

If we want to win, we need fresh ideas that will unite the party as a whole and hence sell ourselves to the nation.

MMD currently has two camps that need uniting quickly and promptly. If we don’t do this quickly, we might lose a lot of MPs.”

And Shakafuswa said knowing the stage at which the matter between MMD and Prof Chirwa had reached, it was helpful that he remained silent and he would rather concentrate on his duties as deputy minister of finance.

“I am sorry I have nothing to say. I have no comment. Knowing where this issue has reached and where it is going, I am sorry I have no comment. I would rather concentrate on my work as Deputy Minister of Finance.

This is a new year and I don’t want to involve myself very much in politics, more particularly on the saga of MMD presidency and Prof Chirwa. Its better I disassociate myself from that. I will not say anything,” Shakafuswa said.

On September 5, 2007 Shakafuswa confirmed that Prof Chirwa had joined the MMD in Katuba Constituency where he (Shikapwasha) is the area member of parliament. That time, Shakafuswa described Prof Chirwa as MMD's biggest catch and he was the future of the MMD.

Shakafuswa said Prof Chirwa discussed with him the possibility of joining the MMD.
“I'm actually overwhelmed that he has decided to join the MMD. Professor Chirwa is the future of MMD.

We need politicians who are of the calibre of Professor Chirwa so that they can help put Zambia where it is supposed to be.

There are some people in MMD who just want to reap without adding any value," Shakafuswa said.

“The MMD will soon flush out low calibre leaders. Those whose morality does not match Professor Chirwa, we will start kicking them out. The new MMD is the party of the future. The bad habits of Chiluba will be flushed out.

In fact, I can say Professor Chirwa is the biggest catch we have ever had in the party. He is actually buying a card from Katuba Constituency."

But Tetamashimba said Prof Chirwa ignored President Mwanawasa in Germany.
Tetamashimba said it would be difficult for Prof Chirwa to meet President Mwanawasa.

“We got the information that Prof Chirwa shunned President Mwanawasa at the airport in London. What happened is that when President Mwanawasa arrived at the airport, Prof Chirwa was there but failed to come closer and welcome the President. Now, he is the same professor who wants to aspire for the party and Republican presidency.

No! We will not allow him. At the airport, Prof Chirwa only greeted other people and never cared for President Mwanawasa. He actually ignored him. To us as MMD, that is leadership disqualification,” said Tetamashimba.

Labels: , ,

15 Comments:

At 8:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

You see this is what I meant about being educated! Is Teta acting like somebody who has sat down to read a text book? Can't you envy how the US has conducted the Iowa caucus? Whatever his name that Shakafuswa of a person was saying, if that country isn't going to end up like Kenya, we need first of all an educated group governing and pushing the agenda. When the unlearned of the likes of Teta and other hooligans realize that politics too needs educated people, they will automatically be disqualified and for those aspiring for higher office will be intimidated to do so because of lack of credentials. So I want to disagree with the chap that wanted to dispute my argument that education was not a prerequisite to leading! Who told you that? And where did you go to school? Once again, I reiterate what I said yesterday...To avoid another Kenya, which by the way is totally embarrassing in the 21st century, we need to raise the stakes. In order for a candidate to be a permanent secretary, they ought to have a master degree from UNZA or CBU. Or they ought to have a bachelor degree from a US or UK university. To be president, lets us have for a president somebody with a PhD in Political Science, Economics, or Public Policy. Even BOZ governor needs to have a PhD in Economics, Finance, or Accounting. Thats when things will start moving. Trust me there is something in education which spells civilization. Because everything trickles down from there.

 
At 8:27 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Education is certainly important but your ideas are too 'idealistic'-- I am pretty sure you know that. Especially for presidency, you know that your theory is too abstract to be relevant. With due respect. And, your comparison of a UNZA degree to a degree from the US or UK is out of step to say the least. You obviously did not study at UNZA at all! It is also untrue that every degree from the US or UK is of super-standard... most people are aware that there are excellent schools in the States (and in the UK)and there are schools that are not all that good.
It is true however that the standard of education at UNZA has gone down lately but it is simplistic to state it the way you have. Teta's behaviour is definitely below standard that is for sure --- I agree with you in that respect, almost 100%. Take care Anonymous 1.

 
At 10:30 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the fact that there is somebody reading these blogs. Is this blog available to an ordinary Zambian on the streets? I would like to see how many people can participate in these debates. Well my ideas can be idealistic in the sense that I target only a few qualifications, and I can see where you are coming from with your use of the term idealistic! But my point was that stakes need to raised. If we can have an entire educated African continent's head of states, wouldn't that be wonderful? Look at what is happening in Libya with Muammar al-Gaddafi's son. Anyway, when all is said and done, we still have a long way to go. And education is sure an excellent starting point.

 
At 11:20 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would love to believe that not all blog readers are pure nerds and just spend time on the net reading through the're and other peoples thought process, but that most of us are engaged in day today politics with those who sit in the offices and the street cadres too!
sad but funny,a kaponya said "chabepa sana pa nairobi, pantu ama numbers yama gangs muma compound yala kwata problem, we avoided this with chi sata!"
for all those who cant read bemba the cadre is worried about the reduction in street gangs in nairobi!
it made me wonder but then, thats the world we live in.Education is there to drive us to a certain point then we need the backs of the iliterate to make it in politics!

 
At 11:22 AM , Blogger MrK said...

Anonymous,

Is this blog available to an ordinary Zambian on the streets?

It is available (and commentable on) by anyone with access to an internet cafe.

I wish The Post started to add online comments.

 
At 11:33 AM , Blogger MrK said...

To be president, lets us have for a president somebody with a PhD in Political Science, Economics, or Public Policy.

Maybe that would better for Permanent Secretaries and other civil servants.

Politics should remain open to people with real life experience as well.

However, if the civil service became more professional and less dependent on appointment by politicians, it could actually start to work on merit. Even ancient China had tough civil service exams.

 
At 11:35 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

To Mr K,

Does tha post know of your bloggers' website?
"I wish The Post started to add online comments." can only happen if they knew this facility existed.

To Barbs,

I don't understand a single word you just typed. I am fluent in Bemba though haven't spoken it in 5 years...what are you talking about if I may ask?

 
At 11:37 AM , Blogger MrK said...

Does tha post know of your bloggers' website?

Oh yes they do. :)

 
At 11:54 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well Mr. K, if the post is aware that even Zambians can blog, why the hell can't they at least assign somebody to deliberately "listen" to some of these opinions?

On the educational standards the reason I emphasize education is due to the fact that it is the thugs that are politicians when it comes to African arrangements! A thug setting the agenda for Zambia? Is somebody serious? How can we have meaningful development? Thats why the rest of world pretends as if Africa, the continent doesn't exist. In their own words they say "unless you get your act together." And that explains why research does come out and is published from any African university, nor is there one African amongst the richest persons on the Forbes listing for the 2007-08 billionaires in the world. And thats why we as Africans are not included in major discussions across the globe. See where I am getting with this. I can go on and on. We need to do away with the politics of the Michael Satas of yester-years; and instead look at fresh brains coming out of college with something tangible to offer. Look around you and tell me which African head of state has an impressive academic record. Something has got to happen in Africa. IBM for example has just recently announced its largest IT investment infrastructure wil be made in Africa ;a thing thats never been done in the past. If people can begin to see that it all starts with a good education, if only they can begin to see that we will not go anywhere unless we became serious about improving the mind; we will forever depend on donors to supplement African budgets. Year after year; mark my words. Its ridiculous!

 
At 2:44 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

@ 1st Anonymous: "....Or they ought to have a bachelor degree from a US or UK university...."

I'm sorry to say it but man you sound more an educated with this statement than Teta himself. Or you sound more like a son of salve who grew up on a farm. If education is what you believe in, I'll let you go and find out why I think of you this way.

Sorry mate but what makes you think that degrees from the rest of the world, other than US or UK can't be used to aspire for a political office in Zambia? Are you really educated yourself or you just want our politicians to be educated regardless of what you are like? I don't no harm but I'm just shocked and I just had to speak what was on my mind.

PEACE, LOVE N' RESPECT!

Jigga man

 
At 10:13 PM , Blogger MrK said...

Well Mr. K, if the post is aware that even Zambians can blog, why the hell can't they at least assign somebody to deliberately "listen" to some of these opinions?

You'll have to ask them that yourself. However, they could probably respond that they do have a section of published letters, which is always cool.

I would love to see The Post go non-subscription, and add a blogging function to their articles. (And store the articles in a way that they can be easily found on search engines and archives can be easily browsed through.)

 
At 5:20 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jigga man? Is that your name? What kind of a name is that? I don't have to tell you what credentials I have or not have. I can tell you are beneath me judging by your minimal exposure to the English language and probably your typing skills on the keyboard...and so are the many Zambians just as foolish as you. See we are trying to do you chaps a favor of coming back to stop the brain drain for starters. We have what it takes but are too professional to engage in the day-to-day nonsense of cheap politics where everybody thinks politics is about serving yourself, your immediate family, then your extended ones. Even idiots like the "jiggas" of this world have a flip to flap? But with dead brain thinkers as yourself, we still have a long way to go. I don't have time to bicker with you on who is naughty and who's nice. Jigga my ass! Give me a god damn break, please...

 
At 6:19 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

@anonymous: "...i can tell you are beneath me..."

Fun how even the supposed educated always think they are better than everybody, even those they don't know... And fun how we condemn our own politicians when we are no different from them. Our politicians don't want to be opposed, they get really mad and so are the rest of Zambians. It's easy to tell a Zambian even in blogsphere; and they are no different from the very politicians they condemn everyday. I sure expected that reaction from you and that's why I did say SORRY in advance.

Dude I challenged you on your demands that only bachelors' degrees holders from US and UK unis ought to qualify for a political office in Zambia. Trust me you sound less intelligent with this than Teta; or you have that inferiority complex synonymous with slaves who thought everything 'white' is gold... You are the 1st person who thinks the UK and/or US is where heavenly paradise is found.

As for your English language or typing skills, I would love enrolling in your classes, because I admit i'm no good at it coz' I don't pay attention and preview my writing. And yeah I go by the name of 'Jigga'... at least i;m Jigga, you are 'Anonymous' - what kind of a name is that hahahaha? (again look yourself in the mirror before you condemn others). Sorry dude, normally I'm not like this but you sure got to my brain nerves with your UK/US degree suggestions.

PEACE, LUV N' RESPECT!

Jigga

 
At 6:48 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ananymous (1, and just above):
You sound frustrated where ever you are. It sounds like you are quite schooled and it is obvious that you have excellent degrees of post secondary education to show. We need people with high standards of education such as yours to develop our common country of Zambia. It appears to me though that during the course of your training you learned a lot of other things (expectedly), some of which hugely negate useful education. I hope less of these retrogressive tendencies will become eminent here and certainly to readers across our country and the world. Language and attitude as displayed by you and alluded to by others on this forum, do little to dispel some of the fears that people like President Mwanawasa in Zambia have about people who are abroad. If Professor Chirwa expresses himself the way you have on this forum, and possibly else where, then no doubt those people who have not been residing in Zambia for 'a while' could be considered "boogie man."

There you have it... it is actually quite a scary event to write to you judging by your most recent reply!Please pardon me for my deficiencies in my command of the revered English Language, my no-superior technological skills, et cetera.
Happy New Year to all.

 
At 10:17 AM , Blogger MrK said...

Ok, that's enough folks. If you want to make points and examine those, fine. But no attacking the person (argumentum ad hominem) or picking fights.

And can the generalisations, if you don't mind. Stick with specific examples.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home