Monday, February 25, 2008

The women’s movement abandoned me, claims losing ULP candidate

The women’s movement abandoned me, claims losing ULP candidate
By Inonge Noyoo
Monday February 25, 2008 [03:00]

THE women’s movement abandoned me, losing United Liberal Party candidate for the Kanyama by-elections Elizabeth Phiri has complained. And Phiri has pledged to offer her unwavering support to the ULP in ensuring that it gained political muscle before the 2011 elections. In an interview, Phiri said the women’s movement did not give her the support she needed in the Kanyama by-elections. She advised women rights’ activists not to sing slogans they could not honour.

“I am disappointed with my womenfolk; they are always complaining of low women representation but they don’t do anything or do very little to support the few women that manage to contest elections. Despite all the complaints, it’s disappointing to note that only Zambia National Women’s Lobby Group helped me with the printing of posters and I thank them for that,” she said. “The support was not enough; my fellow women could have done more to support me. I expected Women for Change, NGOCC and other women groups to be on the ground and maybe then the message would have been sent. We need to learn to stand united in difficult times.”

Phiri said the women’s movement would not see any change if they just wanted to complain and remain in their offices.

“I hope to meet the women movement so that we can sit down and discuss the way forward because this is not the end, we still have 2011. I would like to know why they left me alone and never came to sympathise with me or show their support on the ground. If they continue complaining and not acting, then people will conclude that their complaints are not genuine,” she said.

And Phiri said she was proud that she was one of the founding members of the Patriotic Front and said she would dedicate herself to building the ULP.
She said she was proud to have emerged fourth in the by-election despite having defected to ULP at the last minute.

“You know the Kanyama by-elections have shown me that I am a lioness to have beat UNIP and FDD who have been around for a long time. Beating Kenny Ngondo the whole president and Chushi Mwewa a monetary giant was enough for me. I know that if ULP gains the needed political muscle we will put up a good fight in 2011,” she said.

Phiri said she would continue in her endeavours to bring sanity to Kanyama.
“I will not give up. I will continue and hopefully if ULP gives me a chance I will scoop the seat, “said Phiri.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home