Thursday, April 03, 2008

Shakas withdraws his apology

Shakas withdraws his apology
By Lambwe Kachali
Thursday April 03, 2008 [04:00]

FINANCE deputy minister Jonas Shakafuswa has U-turned on his apology to the nation over his recent remarks at Parliament Motel bar, claiming he did not insult women. Briefing the press in Lusaka yesterday, Shakafuswa accused The Post of twisting what he said at the bar in order to increase newspaper sales to pay its employees who have not been paid for the last three months.

Shakafuswa challenged The Post and the women movement to produce evidence of the remarks he made when he confronted Chikankata UPND member of parliament Munji Habeenzu over prostitution at National Assembly Motel.

Below is the verbatim of what Shakafuswa said at the briefing:
"The last 12 days I have become a very good newsmaker and I am happy to note that The Post employees who have not been paid for three months have been finally paid because of the improved sales which are coming from the story through their circulation.

"I am alleged to have had exchanged some words with a member of parliament at Parliament Bar and that I insulted women. First, when I saw The Post on Saturday I was shocked and embarrassed at what came out. And I was asking myself 'Jonas Why?' So, what came to my mind was that was I drunk to have said those words.

Those words are very embarrassing and demeaning to those who had been intended to. But you know, one thing, which should be occurring is that my interacting with Habeenzu was about two minutes. If you ask anyone, it was about two minutes that I had interaction with Habeenzu and he was pulled out and I remained at the bar, I remember. And when you look at the verbatim, which came in The Post, and if it was given to somebody to read, I think it will take about ten to fifteen minutes.

"So, all I am saying is that I am not innocent; I am a human being, I can err. What I am saying is that people are saying Jonas needs to resign. Yes, I am going to take that verdict which the people have judged me. But what I am saying is that those who are judging me; don't judge me from what was reported in The Post.

Judge me from what happened at the bar. I hear the reporters recorded the conversation at the bar. Because those reporters who were there when we were talking, none of them was taking notes. And I will tell you one thing, my speech, when I am talking, I am very fast.

Now if I was speaking fast, what short-hand speed does that reporter has? The only thing, which I realise is that somebody told me that they were not taking notes because they had a tape recorder. So what I am saying is that let them play this tape recorder because I am saying I am innocent.

"Let them play this tape recorder to confirm what I said and the context in which I said those things. And I know I have hurt the women of Zambia, I have hurt my family and the worst thing, and people are taking it to the President. When I started politics, I won (as member of parliament) knowing that the President was my uncle. But I was UPND.

I refused to work with MMD because of what I perceived to be the corruption of MMD at that time. My uncle won and asked me to work with him; I refused to take a by-election until 2006 when I changed to become MMD.

"So for people to say my uncle, my uncle, my uncle I think they should also give the President respect. But you see what I have decided, this fight, which they are taking to the President, is something, which happened to Jonas.

Let the women movement come with The Post. Come with evidence, the tape recording that I said those things and I swear, I will not bother anyone. Once that evidence comes... say bring it in an hour from now, I am going to resign as deputy minister of finance and national planning today. Thanks very much."

On March 20, Shakafuswa threatened to beat up Habeenzu over his remarks in Parliament that the National Assembly Motel has been turned into a brothel by members of parliament.
Shakafuswa, who is also Katuba MMD member of parliament, said his wife consistently phoned him to find out whether he was in the chamber debating or 'slaughtering women' at the motel due to Habeenzu's remarks.

And before publishing the story on March 21, this reporter had contacted Shakafuswa and read back the story he wrote concerning the incident at Parliament.
In reaction, Shakafuswa said he did not regret what he said.

"Let him write to the Speaker, I don't care. Habeenzu is very stupid. He cannot say that the motel has been turned into a brothel. What will people think about us? That is nonsense," he said.
Reminded further that he also told Habeenzu that if he was poor and could not pay for sex, he should leave those with money to buy sex and that if a woman wanted to be ‘slaughtered’, let her be done, Shakafuswa said that was a personal statement.

"Look! Do you want to include that in your story? Is that newsworthy? No, it shouldn't be like that. You know I was at the bar and I was drinking. There is no way you can write such things. Those will damage my name.

That was a personal statement. Ok, fine, if you want to write that, go ahead, but I know that you will still need news from me next time. And when you include that, you will make me angry and you will never get any news from me again," Shakafuswa said.
On March 23, Shakafuswa apologised to Habeenzu for his behaviour.
He said he was sorry for having said that and that he was drunk.

"I was drunk, it was at a bar at Parliament. I don't want to deny that I did not say that or defend myself, I think it was just bar talk. It's unfortunate if I said that," Shakafuswa said. "If I used those words, I apologise; it could have been under the influence of liquor."
On March 25, Shakafuswa's wife Florence, in an interview with Muvi Television, also apologized and called on Zambians to forgive her husband for what he said.

"The members of the public especially the women at large, my husband has given an apology and I have enough heart to forgive him for what he has done. And for that reason, I don't feel when somebody says forgive me “what are you supposed to do?” I mean we are all Christians... So if God has given me enough heart to forgive my husband, it's up to members of the public whether they want to keep it like that or not," Florence said.
Earlier, Shakafuswa's son Christopher also apologized to the nation.

Christopher said his father had also apologised to the family and begged for forgiveness.
The women’s movement has demanded that Shakafuswa resign for regarding women as sexual objects.

The women have since petitioned President Mwanawasa to dismiss Shakafuswa as deputy minister.

Habeenzu has also written to the Speaker of the National Assembly Amusaa Mwanawasa over Shakafuswa's outburst and attacks on him.

Consequently, the Office of the Clerk of the National Assembly has asked individual members who were present at parliament bar when Shakafuswa verbally attacked Habeenzu to submit written reports to the committee of privileges and support services.

This committee comprise; Mutale Nalumango (deputy Speaker), Mike Mulongoti (chief government spokesperson), George Kunda (justice minister), Gladys Nyirongo (MMD Bwacha member of parliament), Sakwiba Sikota (ULP Livingstone member of parliament), Ernest Mwansa (PF Chifunabuli member of parliament) and Edward Kasoko (UPND Mwembeshi member of parliament).

On Monday, President Mwanawasa said he would not fire Shakafuswa until Parliament concludes its investigations.

President Mwanawasa said even if Parliament established that Shakafuswa insulted Habeenzu, he would only take action when he saw the need to do so.

But on Wednesday, an MMD national executive (NEC) member Christine Moonga charged that President Mwanawasa was practising tribalism openly.
Moonga in a statement expressed disappointment over the manner in which Shakafuswa’s matter was being handled.

Moonga wondered why the nation was wasting time to probe a well known issue simply because Shakafuswa is President Mwanawasa's nephew.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home