Friday, May 09, 2008

Battle against tribalism has just started, declares Moonga

Battle against tribalism has just started, declares Moonga
By Lambwe Kachali
Friday May 09, 2008 [04:00]

THE battle against tribalism and nepotism has just started and it will be fought to the bitter end, expelled MMD national executive committee (NEC) trustee Christine Moonga yesterday charged. And suspended MMD Copperbelt provincial chairman Terence Findlay said he is not worried about his suspension because it will give him more chance to concentrate on his business.

Reacting to her expulsion from the party for alleged breach of the party constitution, Moonga said no political demon would stop her from fighting crookedness and archaic leadership in the country.
Moonga said her expulsion was an indication of how bogus the MMD leadership had become.

"I have time and again been saying that tribalism and nepotism in Zambia is the worst cancer than corruption. So, for MMD to base their decision to expel me on the truth is a wonderful blessing to me. I can tell you that no political demon powers... will stop me from this fight. With MMD's action, I believe the people of Zambia will judge whether what I said about the growing tribalism in the party was wrong or not," she said.

Moonga maintained that there was too much tribalism in the MMD and that it should be uprooted if the party was to win the lost trust and confidence from majority Zambians.
She said the ruling party's leadership was intolerant and thrived on silencing its members.

Moonga said it was imperative to understand that for any country to unite and have equal distribution of wealth, the President of the country should treat its citizens as equal, regardless of tribe or blood relationship.

Asked whether she would challenge her expulsion, Moonga said she would not although her case had been handled with a lot of impunity, as she was not even given a chance to appear before the party's disciplinary committee.

"I have said it all, so let the will of God be done," she said.
Moonga said she would rather concentrate on God's ministry than politics.

"But I may bounce back in 2011 because I cannot stop the battle I have started half way. I have to accomplish it. For now, I have put everything in the hands of God and it is only the Lord who will direct me on my next move. But for now I wish MMD well in its endeavours. If anything, the issue of tribalism in their party has made me stronger than ever and it has to be conquered at all cost," said Moonga.

And Findlay said he would watch the interim Copperbelt executive committee's work with great interest.

He said the suspension had rather given him more opportunities to revive his business, which was being affected by political activities.
"I was spending a lot of time on party programmes but now I am able to spend more time on my company and I think this suspension had given me more advantages on my business," Findlay said.

Asked whether he would re-contest the seat since the provincial executive committee had been dissolved, Findlay said he would decide when the time comes.

Meanwhile, Patriotic Front (PF) spokesperson Given Lubinda said his party had been vindicated for expelling some of its members who committed more grave offences than Moonga.

Lubinda charged that MMD was being led by hypocrites who were against divergent views.

Lubinda said when PF expelled some of its members participating in the National Constitutional Conference (NCC), MMD party spokesperson Benny Tetamashimba and defence minister George Mpombo called the party all sorts of names.

"So, what is it that MMD has done to an innocent member Moonga who told the nation the truth? Mrs. Moonga has been expelled not because she talked about Jonas Shakafuswa finance deputy minister but because she touched 'King' Levy Mwanawasa whom MMD leadership think is untouchable. PF has been vindicated and it is clear now that there is too much dictatorship in MMD than any other party," said Lubinda.

On Tuesday, MMD NEC expelled Moonga for saying that President Levy Mwanawasa was practicing tribalism openly by not disciplining Shakafuswa who she said was fond of insulting other members and other people as well as disobeying party regulations.


Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home