Sunday, November 16, 2008

Liato promises to dialogue with labour movement

Liato promises to dialogue with labour movement
Written by Gloria Siwisha

NEWLY-appointed labour minister Austin Liato has promised to engage the labour movement into dialogue so as to address critical labour issues.

In an interview yesterday, Liato said the out come of the just-ended presidential election especially in urban areas revealed that workers and the labour movement were not satisfied with the way the government had handled labour issues.

“I want workers to remember that I have spent 16 years of my life representing them and that I am a worker myself who understands what they go through because we share a lot in common, so I will take this opportunity given to me by President Rupiah Banda to try and address workers’ interests of course by engaging into dialogue with the three social partners, ZCTU, FFTUZ and ZUFIAW,” he said.

Liato hoped that dialoguing with social partners would see workers satisfied and work towards production to boost the economy.

He advised the labour movement to take advantage of this period and work in partnership with the government.

“We want to see a shift towards production because people cannot survive without production. There is little time left so I can only encourage them to come on board,” he said.

Liato assured that the government attached great importance to improving the lives of Zambians throughout the country.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home