Sunday, February 01, 2009

‘Mama’ Mwale tells her success story

‘Mama’ Mwale tells her success story
Written by Florence Bupe and pictures by Angela Ntetabunga
Sunday, February 01, 2009 4:29:18 PM

FOR a long time now, the issue of scarce formal employment opportunities has been one of Zambia’s major challenges.

Much as it has been discussed extensively, and solutions sought on a daily basis, it would be unrealistic to assume that the problem is nearing its end: the challenge of high unemployment levels seems to be worsening, especially with the current and looming job losses arising from the ongoing global economic recession.

It has often been observed that whenever there are economic and social challenges affecting any society, women tend to be the most hit, hence the need for women themselves to find solutions to challenges they face.

A 35-year-old widow of Lusaka is a shining example of someone who has risen over the economic challenges that most of our women face.

Astridah Mwale, the widow of legendary boxer Lottie Mwale, narrates how she started her hair dressing business with no financial resources, but now boasts of being one of the most popular salon owners in Lusaka’s Northmead shopping area.

“I was working for VF Farms as a cashier in Ndola up to the time I got married in 1990. When I got married, my husband stopped me from working and I knew I needed to find something to keep myself going,” Mwale said.

“In 1996, I opened a hair braiding salon, using one of the containers that used to be along the road [in Northmead] as my station. However, the city council opposed the location of the containers and moved them.”

Mwale, who is popularly known as ‘Mama Mwale’, says she did not have any capital the time she started her hair braiding business.

“The only assets I started my business with were my hands and two stools. When I was young, I used to braid hair, it’s always been in me, it’s an interest I’ve had for a long time. I remember back in 1996, I charged my first client K40,000 for tiny mesh braids (mesh was a popular hair extension in the 1990s, used mainly for braiding). Since then, my business has grown, and there’s no looking back.”

Mwale says after making some profits from braiding, she also decided to venture into the business of ordering and reselling hair extensions of all varieties.

Mwale was determined to make her business work, and although she has faced some significant challenges, she has successfully grown her business.

“I had a major setback in my business when my late husband fell ill in 2001. I spent most of my time nursing him, at some point we had to travel to South Africa for him to get some medical attention for a month. I looked after him until he died in 2005,” Mwale narrates. “This really disturbed my business but I’m back on my feet now.”

She now runs a hair product retail shop and a hair salon, and plans to start an outfit retail business.

Through her business, Mwale was able to support her four children, who are now all independent. She says she is now considering borrowing from the commercial banks to further expand her business.

“I’m planning to look for a bigger outlet to rent so that I can open a boutique, and hopefully use part of the space to open another salon,” she says.

Mwale says despite the stiff competition in the hair dressing business where she operates from, she still enjoys a reasonable market share.

She has a considerable number of ‘loyal’ clients who support her business. Mwale discloses that she is able to rake in not less than K800,000 on weekends, and at least K150,000 each day during the week.

“Business is difficult during the week, but on weekends, I have more clients and I can say business is good. My business is still faring well,” she says.

Mwale challenged other women in the country who are not in formal employment to identify strengths that could earn them a decent economic status. She bemoaned the culture of women depending on their husbands or partners for sustenance.

“Women should desist from depending on their husbands for economic sustenance. Look at me, where would I have been today if I had relied only on my husband to provide for me? Women should be in a position to stand on their own even if anything happens to their spouses,” advises mwale.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home