Wednesday, April 08, 2009

Production of jatropha oil has vindicated me – KK

Production of jatropha oil has vindicated me – KK
Written by Patson Chilemba and Ernest Chanda
Wednesday, April 08, 2009 4:52:10 PM

FORMER president Dr Kenneth Kaunda on Sunday said he has been vindicated over the statement he made in the late 1980s that the country could produce oil from grass. Contributing to deliberations at the just-ended national indaba, Dr Kaunda said some of his own ministers rebuked him when he said oil could be produced from grass but now the nation would be producing fuel from jatropha, which is a plant.

"My colleague [Chiluba] was saying he got permission from me [to make his contribution]. Who am I?" Dr Kaunda said before he continued: "It must have been about 1989 when I said from some bush that human beings can make fuel out of grass. Some of my own ministers rebuked me."

Dr Kaunda said jatropha would provide ways for some villagers to grow the "grass."

However, Dr Kaunda said there was no capital to spread jatropha quickly in the country.

He said they had applied through the Citizens Economic Empowerment for capital but CEC was not ready to empower them.

And president Frederick Chiluba accused the media of having a bad attitude towards national crises.

Chiluba also accused the media of calling things what they were not.

"I know I did not come here as a participant, I came as an observer. But before I stood I bowed down to my elder brother [Dr Kaunda] and asked if it was al right for me to speak, and he gave me a go ahead. I have listened to all the contributions made so far, but I haven't heard anybody discuss the media," Chiluba said. "The media need to change their attitude towards crises. It is amazing to see a situation where the media can paint the country black even when it's blue. Recently we had our Vice-President visiting flooded areas and the media painted him...I'll end there. I think the attitude of the media has to change along with us."

Chiluba called on Zambians to help government deal with the economic crisis.

"I must point out that this economic crisis started elsewhere and we are merely being affected. For the first time capitalism has bowed down. Those business houses which were sharing in profits before the credit crunch should also share in the losses and go down. I don't believe that we can survive when copper prices are at US $3,000 per tonne," he said. "Government is responsible even for what it does not do. When there is too much rain, government is blamed from the floods. And when there's a drought, government is blamed. I think we need to put our heads together and help government come out of this."

He also challenged trade unions to change their bargaining strategy.

"Trade unions should change their bargaining strategy. I'm now speaking as a trade unionist. You should not always say 'if you don't give me 50 per cent then I will go on strike,' go on strike and lose your job!" Chiluba said.

And contributing to the debate on energy, Yusuf Dodia said the debate on the tariff increments by Zesco was not taking into account how inefficient the company was.

Tourism Council of Zambia chairman Mark O'Donell said people were told that taxes were removed on jet fuel and yet the price in Zambia was significantly higher than in other countries.

The national two-day indaba which ended last Sunday was organised as a response to the world economic crisis and attracted 500 participants from a cross section of local and international organisations.

However, two major opposition political parties, the Patriotic Front (PF) and the United Party for National Development (UPND) boycotted the gathering.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home