Sunday, April 19, 2009

VJ to monitor elections in South Africa

VJ to monitor elections in South Africa
Written by Katwishi Bwalya
Sunday, April 19, 2009 4:25:08 AM

PARLIAMENTARY Chief Whip Vernon Mwaanga has been invited to monitor the April 22 general elections in South Africa.

In an interview on Thursday, Mwaanga said he was scheduled to leave for South Africa on Friday night to monitor the elections slated for this Wednesday. However, Mwaanga could not disclose the organisation that had invited him.

“I am leaving and my flight is tomorrow night [Friday night] and I am not saying anything, but the organisation that has invited me will be able to issue a statement,” Mwaanga said.

Asked what role he would play in the monitoring process and how he felt to be invited, Mwaanga said: “I feel nothing, because this is not my first time to monitor an election. I have done it before so I am not saying anything.”

Mwaanga also said allowing Zambians living abroad to vote in an election like South Africa had done is something that could be discussed.

“Our current electoral system as you know does not allow Zambians living abroad to vote, but I think for Zambians it is something that we can discuss,” Mwaanga said. “It is something we can discuss and see if it can happen.”

South Africa’s High Commissioner to Zambia Moses Chikane said he was not aware of any individual or organisations in Zambia that had been invited to monitor that country’s elections.

“That is the information I’m waiting for but I’m not aware of anyone who has been invited. And I’m not aware that Mr Mwaanga has been invited,” said High Commissioner Chikane when contacted for comment.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home