Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Magande still interested in Presidency

Magande still interested in Presidency
Written by Masuzyo Chakwe
Wednesday, June 17, 2009 2:56:03 PM

CHILANGA member of parliament Ng'andu Magande has said he is still interested in contesting the Republican presidency. In an interview on Tuesday, Magande who is former finance minister said 2011 was still very far and anything could happen between now and then.

When asked if he was still interested in contesting the Republic presidency following MMD's NEC meeting where they endorsed President Rupiah Banda as the sole candidate for the party at the MMD convention, Magande responded "Given the opportunity of course, don't you think I have qualities?" he asked.

When reminded that President Banda had been endorsed Magande responded "But there will be only one candidate from MMD, is he going to be unopposed? Will he be unopposed? 2011 is still very far, anytime anything can happen, I think even the old man could say that he is tired, can anyone take over from me, and he will say Magande, I know you better come and take over from me. That's what a lot of people are telling me, these old people are very unpredictable; they make very important decisions at the last minute. I am not fighting him. He is President for now but what do we know he could say before the elections," he said.

Magande said he was a member of the MMD central committee and would present a report at the convention of what he had done as chairman of finance and economics.

"They voted for me so I have to go to the convention to make a report after that I will see the mood of the people, if they think I did a good job as chairman and minister of finance and they need me to do something else, I will be willing to do anything," said Magande.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home