Thursday, June 11, 2009

Nkomeshya pledges to support Masebo

Nkomeshya pledges to support Masebo
Written by George Chellah
Thursday, June 11, 2009 12:35:06 PM

SENIOR chieftainess Nkomeshya Mukamambo II of the Soli people of Lusaka has vowed to stand by former local government minister Sylvia Masebo during her difficult times.

During the second memorial service of Masebo's late mother Margaret Rosa Mwachiyeya Tembo, which was conducted by Fr Chilinda at Old Leopards Hill Cemetery last Sunday, chieftainess Nkomeshya said she was saddened with the recent negative headlines about Masebo in the press. However, chieftainess Nkomeshya pledged support to Masebo.

"When her mother was sick and she was about to die, she called me and said, 'this disease I have I know that I am dying because it’s cancer, but I’m not afraid. My only worry is Sylvia because out of all my children, she is the only one who has taken the path of politics and you know Zambian politics are dirty so please look after her'," chieftainess Nkomeshya explained. " Now it saddens me these days when I see negative headlines about her because it reminds me of what her mother had said to me. These days when you see the papers, all you see are negative headlines about her. But I want to assure you that I will always stand by you through these difficult times.

"I also want to tell you that when you are in difficulties even some of those who were close to you will run away from you because at that time maybe you have nothing to give them. But I want to tell you that God will always be there for you."

Chieftainess Nkomeshya advised the family to find time for God despite their busy schedules, just as their mother did.

"Your mother was very hardworking and committed to God," she said.

The chieftainess said she had managed to be on the throne for 38 years because she had put God at the centre of her chieftainship.

Chieftainess Nkomeshya said although she was a traditional ruler, she did not believe in magic for her leadership and that she bears the cross of Jesus every day.

Local government minister Benny Tetamashimba recently challenged his predecessor Masebo to explain to Zambians what transpired in the purchase of hearses, speedboats, Keep Zambia Clean campaign vehicles and other projects during her tenure.

In his letter dated May 31, 2009 to Masebo and copied to his permanent secretary Coillard Chibbonta, Secretary to the Cabinet Joshua Kanganja and Post editor Fred M'membe, Tetamashimba stated that Masebo bought 150 vehicles for the Keep Zambia Clean campaign, hearses and unfit speedboats without involving him as her deputy then.

"...Hearses, Speedboats, Keep Zambia clean vehicles and plot at Lusaka Girls. There is no doubt that when you decided to buy the above-named, I did not know as it was all between you, your permanent secretary Mr Joe Ngo, director Z. Zulu and head of procurement. I was never part to any but as current minister, all falls under me," he stated.

Tetamashimba stated that Masebo confessed to Vice-President George Kunda that she was the architect of the project to buy hearses.

"You never involved me in your decision to purchase the hearses. Even the tender procedures as per records at this ministry were only privy to you and not to me," Tetamashimba stated.

But Masebo revealed that in line with the Cabinet handbook, she had applied for clearance from President Banda to allow her as a former minister to divulge information on the transactions that took place during her tenure.

Masebo said it was clear that there was a deliberate ploy to malign and dent her image.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home