Sunday, July 26, 2009

Mpombo refuses to campaign for MMD in Chitambo

Mpombo refuses to campaign for MMD in Chitambo
Written by George Chellah
Sunday, July 26, 2009 4:48:54 AM

FORMER defence minister and Kafulafuta MMD member of parliament George Mpombo has refused to go and campaign for the ruling party in the Chitambo parliamentary by-election. In an interview, Mpombo said his decision to turn down the MMD's request for him to go to Chitambo and campaign for the party was purely based on principle.

"On Monday, I received a call from MMD deputy national secretary Jeff Kaande telling me that the party had an assignment for me in Chitambo. He said they wanted me to go and campaign in the Chitambo by-election," Mpombo explained.

"But I am unable to even consider that request from Kaande for me to go to Chitambo and campaign. I have turned down that request from Jeff Kaande for me to go to Chitambo."

He said looking at the recent happenings, there was no way he could undertake the party assignment.

"With this animosity, how do you surely expect me to do that? This animosity is quite disturbing even to my family. I can't go to Chitambo and campaign when my friends don't want me," Mpombo said. "I am uncomfortable with what is unfolding. So on principle, I can't do that."

Mpombo, who is also former MMD national executive committee (NEC) chairperson for energy, said he was ready for any disciplinary action that might be instituted against him.

"I am absolutely ready to bite the bullet. Whoever wants to do anything can go ahead. I can't accept this dehumanizing behaviour, especially to my family. I can't accept that," Mpombo said. "Just look at the way they are treating me; as if I have left the party when in actual sense I am still in the party. So I have turned down the request from Kaande and let them do what they want."

Mpombo maintained his displeasure with the manner in which works and supply minister Mike Mulongoti behaved on issue of the government house he was occupying.

"I know of people who have stayed in the houses for months after leaving office. So what can Mulongoti talk about? It's just corrosive hatred," Mpombo said.

But when contacted, Mulongoti said: "What can I say because he received a letter from my permanent secretary, not me? I have nothing to say. He didn't get a letter from me. I never got a response from him if he wanted to stay in the house."

Mulongoti said if Mpombo wanted an extension to stay in the house, he knew what to do and that he would have seen him.

"I don't want to enter into a debate on issues which will add no value. I wish him well, he is my brother," Mulongoti said.

But in a letter to Mpombo dated July 21, 2009, which was also copied to Mulongoti and Secretary to Cabinet Dr Joshua Kanganja, works and supply permanent secretary Lieutenant Colonel Bizwayo Nkunika advised Mpombo to vacate the VIP house number 5371 Robert Kennedy Close.

"I write to draw your attention to the fact that in accordance with your terms and conditions of service, you are required to vacate a government house within fifteen (15) days from the date of your termination of office as a Cabinet minister or upon your resignation," Lt Col Nkunika stated. "In view of the foregoing, you are requested to vacate the government house and surrender your personal to holder vehicle to the undersigned by 21st July 2009 to pave way for a new occupant and user. You are also requested to clear outstanding water and electricity bills if any, on vacating your former official residence house."

But early this year, Mulongoti authorised Dora Siliya's continued stay in a government house beyond the stipulated 15 days after one ceases to be minister. Nkunika confirmed that Siliya, who resigned from her ministerial position, was still occupying a government house.

"Yes, I can confirm to you that she's still in a government house and has asked the Minister of Works and Supply [Mulongoti] to stay a little bit longer until she finds some other accommodation arrangements, and the minister has authorised," Lt Col Nkunika said. "I don't think this a constitutional matter, it's a regulation. You may recall this happened to [Zambia's envoy to China] Ambassador Lupando Mwape. When he lost his job, he was allowed to stay in the house for three months."

Lt Col Nkunika said ministers of works and supply could use their discretion to allow former leaders like Cabinet ministers to stay in a government house longer than the stipulated 15 days.

Asked on the timeframe within which former ministers were supposed to hand over their government vehicles upon leaving office, Lt Col Nkunika said the ministers could still hold on to their GRZ numbers, until they had fully paid for the vehicles if the intention was to buy them.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home