Friday, August 28, 2009

Mulongoti urges govt officials to work for national development

Mulongoti urges govt officials to work for national development
Written by Ernest Chanda in Solwezi
Friday, August 28, 2009 2:59:48 PM

WORKS and supply minister Mike Mulongoti on Wednesday warned government officials against staying in offices at the expense of national development.
Speaking when he met North Western Province minister Joseph Mulyata and permanent secretary Dr Eustern Mambwe, Mulognoti said the government would find it difficult to deliver if its representatives were not involved in field work.

Mulognoti who is inspecting roads and bridges in North Western and Copperbelt provinces, said this in response to Mulyata and Dr Mambwe who told him that they would have loved him to stay in the province for at least two weeks to see the number of problems needing immediate attention.

“I know that there are other national needs like the NCC [National Constitutional Conference], there’s also parliament which just adjourned. But I still make sure I find time to move around the country and work…Work is out there in the field waiting for us to do it. And for you Mr Mulyata, 2011 is just around the corner, you and I have to report to our people what we have done. For Dr Mambwe, he has all the time to wait because he is a civil servant,” he said.

Earlier, Mulongoti grilled Mulyata and Dr Mambwe for trying to stop him from visiting the province when he sent a notice from Lusaka.

“Minister I must put it on record that I was not happy when you tried to stop me from visiting the province. When I sent a letter that I was coming to the province, I got a reply that you people would not be ready for me. I was told that you would be busy with the Likumbi Lyamize ceremony. But my programme in the province ends on 26th, which is today, so I was surprised when you tried to stop me when your ceremony starts on 28th. Perhaps any one of you can explain to me why I should not have visited the province,” said Mulongoti.

But both Mulyata and Dr Mambwe were at pains to explain the reasons, except to say that there was no proper communication between the two government officials.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home