Monday, February 08, 2010

Maureen not in hurry to have a boyfriend

Maureen not in hurry to have a boyfriend
By Ernest Chanda
Mon 08 Feb. 2010, 04:01 CAT

MAUREEN Mwanawasa has said she is not in a hurry to remarry or have a boyfriend.
Featuring on Joy fm's Tikambilane programme in Lusaka yesterday, Maureen said even though the Mwanawasa family cleared her through a traditional ceremony last year, she did not think of re-marrying anytime soon.

Maureen made the remarks after the presenter asked her which person she would celebrate this year’s Valentine’s Day with since she had been cleared by her late husband’s family.

Maureen said she would wait for God's time.
“Yes, you read in the media that I was cleared by my late husband's family. But you see, I live by God's rules.

God gave me a man late president Levy Mwanawasa whom I lived with and had children, so I have to mourn him for as long as I can. So, marriage is not a priority to me for now, just as I have always said,” Maureen said. “I have a lot of challenges such as reviving the law firm. But I will not say I will not marry again or have a boyfriend. If I say that then I would be wrong because tomorrow you may see me marry or have a boyfriend and then you will say 'remember what you said on air'. So I will wait for God's time.”
Valentines Day falls this Sunday, February 14.

On the fight against HIV/AIDS, Maureen urged women to thank God if their husbands introduced condoms in the home as a way of fighting the scourge.

“We are no longer fighting AIDS through statistics but we are always looking for ways of fighting the pandemic. Men must be able to introduce a condoms in the home. I know this might be difficult to understand but I believe it is good for the fight against AIDS,” Maureen said. “I have told women in many workshops that if a man introduces a condom in a home don't question him. Usually as women, when we see such things in a home, we begin to wonder which other woman our man is sleeping with. If a man introduces a condom in a home just thank God.”

And Maureen said a leader's attributes should not be tied to a degree.
Maureen said there was more connected to good leadership than just a degree.
The National Constitutional Conference (NCC) recently adopted a clause that requires a presidential candidate to possess, among others, a minimum academic qualification of a first degree.
Maureen said education alone did not make someone a good leader.

“The degree clause has brought a lot of debate. I believe that leaders should be chosen by the people and for the people. If there are people who aspire to be leaders I think their attributes should not be tied to a degree. We have others with ACCA, CIMA and other accounting professions, which are quite high. Where do we place them?” Maureen questioned. “We also have military people who are disciplined with other leadership attributes. Some of them are Colonels, but because they may not have a degree should we disregard them? There are other attributes in a person such as integrity which makes one a good leader. And whatever the case, at the end of the day it is the 12 million Zambians who will vote.”

She said the Republican presidency could not be tied to a degree because it encompassed all professions.

“The presidency encompasses all professions, so you can't tie it to a degree. If you say I have a degree in law others will say how are you going to manage the economy of the country? What we should say is that there must be some level of education, experience and integrity in someone aspiring for leadership. After all, at the end of the day, it's Zambians who choose,” said Maureen.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home