Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Reveal names of people undermining Rupiah, Cifire challenges William Banda

Reveal names of people undermining Rupiah, Cifire challenges William Banda
By Chibaula Silwamba and George Chellah
Wed 17 Mar. 2010, 04:40 CAT

INFORMATION and broadcasting services deputy minister Angela Cifire has challenged Lusaka Province MMD chairperson William Banda to reveal names of ministers, deputy ministers and NEC members undermining President Rupiah Banda and his administration.

Reacting to Banda's revelation on Saturday that some ministers and MMD national executive committee (NEC) members that sit next to President Rupiah Banda, eat and drink with him are slapping him on the face by clandestinely undermining him and his administration, Cifire on Monday said there was no need to pretend that all was well when such things were happening.

“I think that what will be good is for him to mention the names. It will be nice for him to mention names. To show full courage he has to go all the way because if he leaves it at that then we will all be in the same things. For you that are outside, you will be pointing fingers at everyone.

So why not go all the way, pretend to know who is doing what because now we have all been lumped as the same,” said Cifire, who is also MMD Luangeni member of parliament. “So let us know, which one of us is falling prey to this kind of things. We are going to elections and we need to have unity of purpose. So, if we are smiling at each other and yet we are divided in our numbers then what is going to happen at the end of the day? Nothing!”

Cifire said William's observation was useful.
“If that has been observed then it is within ourselves that we can correct some things that are wrong. In fact, for me, I would think that it's unfortunate that such things should be happening.

The most progressive thing for anybody that has advice to give would be to sit and indicate the truth on what is happening instead of showing smiles when indeed something else is being done behind,” Cifire said.

“So, if it's true maybe I could say I salute him for his courage to bring it out that this is what is happening. If it's true, it's a show of courage on his part that he has been able to say it.

I think most of the time we tend to bury our heads in the sand; you see things happening and we want to pretend that all is well while people will be jumping on the side. So if that is happening then I think it's good that he has been able to point it out.”

Agriculture minister Peter Daka declined to comment on William's revelations.
“I am in Luapula Province doing card renewals, I wasn't there; I didn't hear the remarks. I never heard them,” Daka said.

Gender minister Sarah Sayifwanda distanced herself from the insinuations.

“From the word go I have always stated that I am new in politics and I am a God-fearing woman. I accepted politics for one purpose that is to serve the Zambian community. I am not that type or in that habit of stabbing one another, no! My focus, and I repeat it, is to serve the Zambian people in whatever capacity.

So whatever other people are saying whether against me or that lot it's only the Lord Jesus Christ who can judge,” Sayifwanda said. “I have nothing to do with those allegations. Let them go ahead, it takes the Lord Jesus Christ to cleanse all the mud from my face.

But I believe in servicing, to serve the Zambian people. Let the people talk but I believe in serving the Zambian people. I wouldn't love to go further than that. It's very unfortunate but I am here to serve the Zambian people.”

When asked about accusations that she was among the people that felt the late Levy Mwanawasa's legacy had been abandoned, Sayifwanda replied: “No one has ever approached me to find out my views and those are just speculations.

I have never sat with anyone, no one can claim today to have sat with me and then heard from me talking. And I am still desisting to make a comment on that one because I have never even said it before and I will never, never say anything.

As I have stated, I am a God-fearing woman, I fear the Lord Jesus Christ and it's only him that I will need. I don't want to make any comment on that one. It's very unfortunate no one had ever approached me, asked me on that for them to make that allegation.”

During the MMD annual card renewal exercise for Lusaka Province at Mulungushi International Conference Centre, William accused some ministers and NEC members, whom he did not name, of holding dark corner meetings against President Banda.

“Your Excellency, if you hear Lusaka Province is talking about a certain minister, a certain NEC member, you must take it serious to discipline them because this is the heart of MMD and the state,” William said. “When you call them to NEC meetings, when you look at them, who do you think you can hand over power to in NEC besides the one George Kunda you have next to you? Your Excellency, somebody called me the day before yesterday.

I am not going to hide this, somebody called me only three days ago, and he was saying, 'Comrade chairman I want you and us to work together with that one and that one'. He said, 'you must not interfere in the selection of the vice-president'.

I think they have somebody whom they want. I will tell you the name in confidence. Now, Your Excellency, these are the people who sit next to you, who eat with you, who drink with you, at the same time they are slapping you on your face behind you.”

William told President Banda not to be surprised or get angry when the Lusaka Provincial MMD committee proscribes some NEC members from attending NEC meetings.

“Your Excellency, we are saying, in Lusaka Province, we have studied all your Cabinet ministers. We have studied all your deputy ministers. We have studied all NEC members. There is no more nonsense of de-campaigning MMD in this Province,” said William.

“Those who make noise I have toured the whole Lusaka Province, I know who is wanted by the people and who is not wanted by the people. When you call NEC meetings don't be surprised, I have got a high-powered intelligence in the province, our own. When you hear that one NEC member is blocked not to attend NEC meetings, don't be surprised, don't be angry, we know that those are the people who are against your leadership.”


Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home