Saturday, May 22, 2010

Mangani was open to abuse – Rupiah

Mangani was open to abuse – Rupiah
By Chibaula Silwamba
Sat 22 May 2010, 04:01 CAT

President Banda congratulating Western Province permanent secretary Seth Muleya while newly-appointed home affairs minister Mkondo Lungu (l) looks on. This was after the duo was sworn in at State House yesterday - Picture by Collins Phiri

PRESIDENT Rupiah Banda yesterday disclosed that he demoted former home affairs minister Lameck Mangani because he became too open, too exposed and people began to take advantage of him, thereby endangering national security.

And President Banda advised civil servants not to be arrogant to Zambians. Speaking when he swore in Mkondo Lungu as Mangani’s replacement at State House, President Banda said he had great liking for Mangani but he failed to perform to satisfactory standard.

“I just want to say this that it’s not an easy thing for a President to drop a senior minister, especially a senior minister that he knows personally and has a great liking for as a person. But there is something more than me and you; the people out there, the interests of the Zambians,” he said.

“If I am satisfied that a minister is not performing up to the standards that he should perform, especially in your ministry, I have no choice but to move.”

Mangani was demoted to the position of Deputy Minister of Science, Technology and Vocational Training. President Banda said the Minister of Home Affairs, the permanent secretary and members of staff in the ministry were endangered species.

“Everybody targets you for whatever they want to do which is not correct according to the laws of this country. You have to protect yourself,” President Banda said.

“I had to ask my colleague Mangani to stand down and demoted him because I felt he was not ready for the task of Minister of Home Affairs. He was too open, he was too exposed and people were beginning to take advantage of him.”

President Banda said he was receiving reports about what was happening.

“In my position, I hear many things. I don’t hear everything, but many, many things I hear them. The same people that come to you and say, ‘do this, do that’, the same people find the way to come and tell me or they go and tell somebody and that somebody thinks it is not right and come back and report to me,” President Banda said.

“So I want to say that as I advise you, I am also giving a reason why I have had to ask Honourable Mangani to be demoted to the position of deputy minister. It’s not actually a demotion because deputy minister is part of my government. I have given him an opportunity to come down and learn what it is to be a minister at that level; you are number four in the government hierarchy after the Vice-President, comes the Minister of Defence, comes yourself.”

President Banda said the portfolio of home affairs minister was a very important one in the Zambian government establishment.

“Don’t allow people to take advantage of you. I have no doubt that you will not allow that. You are an experienced person. I know your history very well. I know where you are coming from and I know you know what security is all about and that is why I feel comfortable that you are available,” President Banda said.

“When I called you and asked you to come and see me, I didn’t tell you it was Ministry of Home Affairs. I just said I wanted to work with you and you said you were honoured. I am honoured too and grateful that you have agreed to work with us. I hope that the people out there will see what we are trying to do.”

President Banda said his appointment of Lungu, the only parliamentarian for UNIP, was in line with his vision to work with any patriotic Zambian.

“He Lungu belongs to UNIP, is a member of parliament for UNIP. I am president of MMD. However, this is very much in line with my vision to work with everyone regardless of what political party they come from as long as I am satisfied that they are truly patriotic, that they are Zambians who care about the interests of all Zambians,” President Banda said.

“Knowing you as I have done for many, many years now I am satisfied that looking for a mature, qualified Minister of Home Affairs, which perhaps is one of the most difficult ministries in any government.”

President Banda said Lungu was eminently qualified for the ministerial position.

“I have received nothing but accolades for your appointment from all quarters of our society. People feel that you are qualified to look after their security, to look after them and this country, all parts of our country,” President Banda said.

“Every Zambian who is competent can be called upon, regardless of what position he is holding, what political party he belongs to or where in the world he is if he is a Zambian and we need him, we will call him, it’s up to him to say yes or no. It’s up to them to say yes or no. I am very grateful that you agreed. We are counting on you to assist us to run this country to the satisfaction of the Zambian people.”

And speaking after he swore in Seth Muleya as permanent secretary for Western Province to replace Ikenuke Noyoo, President Banda said the appointee was a an experienced civil servant whom people everywhere he worked from spoke well about.

“You will be happy to know that wherever I have gone, be it in the North-Western Province where you have worked, people have nothing to say but good about you. Your attitude towards the people that you are serving, your humility you are giving, you are willing to work, sacrifice everything in order to work for the people that you were appointed to serve,” President Banda said.

“This is just important to all the other leaders here. I am pleased about the good report I have received about you everywhere where you have worked that you are a true Zambian patriot and a true civil servant. It’s not easy when you are permanent secretary to satisfy everybody but people do know your limits too; they know that you can’t do this, you can’t do that. One thing people can’t take is arrogance from their public workers.”

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home