Wednesday, October 06, 2010

Rupiah’s trips are for personal gain

Rupiah’s trips are for personal gain
By Patson Chilemba
Wed 06 Oct. 2010, 04:50 CAT

PATRIOTIC Front (PF) president Michael Sata yesterday argued that President Rupiah Banda does not carry the pride of the nation, but his own interests.

Reacting for President Banda’s statement that he was silly for asserting that the President was now soliciting international trips in order to raise funds for campaigns, Sata said Zambians were not proud when their President aimlessly travelled to other nations to celebrate.

He said Zambians demanded to receive benefits from Presidential trips because a lot of taxpayers’ money was being spent on transporting the President from country to country.

“Tell him he doesn’t carry the nation’s pride. He just carries himself and his interests. What pride does he carry? Is he going to go to all the national days? We have a mission in Nigeria. Our High Commissioner can attend their national day. Do we need all the heads of state to come here for our celebrations?” Sata asked.

He said he did not need to be a reporter for any newspaper to tell that President’s Banda’s trips were a cost to the nation and were not bearing any fruit.

“I have details of his movements. His people tell me. His aimless and unproductive travels, if minimised, the Zambian people can benefit by having manageable cost of mealie-meal below the K60,000 they are spending on the commodity. Tell him to give me his phone number so that I can tell him in person that his trips are a cost to the nation,” Sata said.

“He doesn’t pay money for these trips. And when I am travelling to Mongu, I pay for myself. And I pay much more because he has increased the fuel prices.”

On President Banda’s statement that he had not even called him to say sorry over the death of his two dependants, Sata responded: “Do I even know his number? I would love to speak to him from time to time on things I have already raised, but he has hidden his number.

When he was Vice-President, I knew his number. He is saying I have not paid my condolences on the death of his two dependants, just like he has not on the death of my stepmother. But anyway, tell him I am sorry.”

Reacting to Sata’s earlier statement that he was now soliciting international trips in order to raise campaign funds, President Banda said Sata was very silly.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home