Thursday, January 13, 2011

(NEWZIMBABWE) I won’t condemn Mugabe - Sizzla

I won’t condemn Mugabe: Sizzla
by
13/01/2011 00:00:00

REGGAE star Sizzla Kalonji has insisted that he will not condemn the President Robert Mugabe and describes the veteran Zimbabwean leader as one of the ‘fathers of Africa’.

The Dry Cry hit-maker spent much of 2010 in Zimbabwe, first arriving in the country in the early part of the year to perform at celebrations marking Mugabe’s birthday causing anger amongst many of the Mugabe’s critics, who felt that Sizzla was wrong to align himself with the man that many deem a dictator.

“I see him as one of my fathers from Africa,” Sizzla says of Mugabe. “He’s part of my nation, the black nation. In all that he’s done – whether it’s good or bad – I hope and pray that it’s for the betterment of the people.”

Mugabe has attracted international opprobrium – particularly in the West – over his empowerment programmes which included the much-criticised land reforms and, lately, the requirement that all foreign-owned companies must localise at least 51 percent of their shareholding.

WHILE Sizzla doesn’t call himself a Mugabe supporter, it’s clear that the Jamaican star supports the President’s supposed desire for black emancipation and empowerment.

But with reports last year claiming that the star had been given land in Zimbabwe by the country’s government caused many to believe that Sizzla was in allegiance with the President.

"Honestly, the government didn’t give me land,” Sizzla explains. “For me, going to Africa isn’t just about going to claim land. It was citizens of Zimbabwe that offered me land – they were like, ‘Sizzla, welcome home. Make use of this land.’

“And I think it’s important that we do that. Zimbabwe is beautiful but it does need a lot of help and that requires people to get involved with farming and also to build on the land to keep the country beautiful and prosperous for future generations.

“[Mugabe] is the ruler right now and he’s an elder to me, so I’m not going to discriminate the president. I believe in repatriation and he must know what is best to make his country a better place. I just hope he continues to do what he believes is best for the people.”

The Jamaican star is effusive about his love for Zimbabwe and the rest of the continent.

“Zimbabwe is beautiful, man. I want the world to see how beautiful all of Africa is. When I see some of the buildings and the designs and the architecture there is in Africa, it excites me to think of the beautiful future the continent could have.”

Sizzla’s passion for the motherland suggested that he plans to make his future stay in Zimbabwe a more permanent one.

“Africa is my home. Jamaica is beautiful but you only have to look at our history to know that black people are from Africa. It’s only because of slavery and of course migration that we’ve ended up all over the world,” he says.

“But our ancestral roots lie in Africa. So it’s important to me to tell the people of the world about Africa and also to spend time in the Motherland.”

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home