Saturday, August 20, 2011

Nkomeshya vows to continue speaking for her people

Nkomeshya vows to continue speaking for her people
By Roy Habaalu in Kafue
Sat 20 Aug. 2011, 12:01 CAT

SENIOR chieftainess Nkomeshya Mukamambo II of the Soli people says she will continue speaking for her people even at the risk of becoming unpopular. During a graduation ceremony of St Ambrose Trades School and Chikupi Vocational Training School in Kafue, chieftainess Nkomeshya said becoming unpopular for speaking for her people did not worry her because God was on her side.

She said her chiefdom also deserved to benefit from the national cake with regard to development.

“Somewhere I have been misunderstood myself. And this misunderstanding has made me become very unpopular in certain quarters. When I talk of development in the chiefdom, when I talk of schools in the chiefdom, when I talk about road infrastructure in the chiefdom, I am talking about the problems that you people go through and I am saying to the authorities that be I am only saying that my chiefdom is part of Zambia, and my chiefdom is also entitled to have a share of the national cake,” chieftainess Nkomeshya said.

“I want you to understand me I am not doing politics, I am only saying what affects me in this chiefdom, why I cry every day. And when it makes me unpopular on your behalf, it doesn’t worry me because I know my God, my Creator understands me.”

She said she would continue speaking without fear or favour.

“I am saying this again, this is an election year and I am not pointing a finger at one group of people I am only saying all the aspiring candidates when you win the support of these people and they usher you into office look at their plight, the problems that they face,” she said.

The traditional leader further urged those that would be elected in office to listen to the cries of the electorate and speak for them.

“Speak for them if you are in government, provide for the resources that they are looking for. When I talk about schools even here in Kafue I don’t think there is anyone who can stand and say there are five high schools here. The schools that I know are Kafue High and Naboye and these are the old, old schools. If you had facilities of a high school the level of education would rise.”

Chieftainess Nkomeshya bemoaned the old infrastructure in Kafue which she said was left by the colonialist and reminded the government that even her chiefdom wanted to see the benefits from the third Republic of Zambia.

“That’s all I am asking for. And again at this graduation ceremony if I will be misunderstood, it doesn’t matter. I am only sending a message also to those aspiring for political office that people are also expecting, the poor, the marginalised, they need to be taken care of. That’s what I am saying,” she emphasised.

Chieftainess Nkomeshya said she took it upon herself to officiate at the ceremony so that she could see for herself the suffering of her subjects.

“I ask myself when am I going to be invited to be a guest of honour at a project initiated by my government, built and finished by my government to invite me…chieftainess; ‘we have now completed this projected we are now handing it over, can you be part of us in handing over?’ That’s all I am waiting for. I want to be there, I want to be there not always community, community based, I want government based projects,” she said.

“On 20th September those of you who have got cards go and choose the people you think can listen to your problems and shape the destiny of this country that’s all I am saying. I am not saying go and vote for that particular party. I don’t know the parties you have here, you know them better do I have to tell you?. These political parties have been here in Kafue isn’t it? And you know how they have performed, the choice is in your hands not me, thank you so much,” said chieftainess Nkomeshya.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home