Wednesday, August 10, 2011

There’s a plot to kill me - Mangani

There’s a plot to kill me - Mangani
By Amos Malupenga
Wed 10 Aug. 2011, 14:02 CAT

LAMECK Mangani yesterday disclosed that he has uncovered a plot by people in the MMD to assassinate him, but warned that no amount of intimidation will stop him from pushing the PF agenda.

In an interview from Chipata, Mangani, a former home affairs minister and works and supply deputy minister in President Rupiah Banda's government, said he has learnt that on August 4, there was a meeting involving three named immediate past ministers and a very senior MMD leader.

“In this meeting, the three former ministers proposed to hire somebody to assassinate me because of the confusion I have created in Eastern Province and most parts of the country after my resignation from the MMD,” Mangani said.

“After serious discussions on this issue, the senior MMD leader refused to be associated with such a plan for fear that once it was implemented, it would have serious political implications in the country. The leader advised that since I worked as home affairs minister, I could know about some security issues so somehow this plan could be known to me.”

Mangani said after the meeting was called off, the three former ministers reconvened somewhere to review the earlier meeting.

“They did not agree with the reasoning of this senior leader so they resolved to implement the scheme even without the knowledge or blessings of this leader,” Mangani said.

“They resolved to hire an officer from one of the security firms in Chipata to execute the plot. But I want to warn them that I am aware of these manoeuvres and that should anything happen to me, the public should know that it will be from these few former ministers who are uncomfortable with my political rights and freedom to associate with a party or individuals of my choice.”

Mangani said he was also aware that every evening, there are pockets of people hovering around his residences both in Lusaka and Chipata “just to check the activities at my houses”.

“However, I want them to know that this will not deter me from doing what I think to be correct politically,” Mangani said.

“Such type of politics is old fashioned. It’s unfortunate that after 47 years of independence, we still have people who believe in eliminating political opponents.”

Mangani said the MMD were so desperate and in panic about him that they had visited all ministries that he served in just to find something to implicate him with.

“They have also gone to those they think I am close to and asked them not to help me in any way,” Mangani said.

“But I want them to know that very soon, Zambians will decide the future of this country and the things they are trying to do against me will be done against them. The only beautiful thing is that the new government will not be so desperate as to resorting to eliminating opponents. The new government will concentrate on the real issues that are going to improve our people’s lives and the country in general.”

Mangani also said he was informed of a desperate plan by an MMD parliamentary candidates in Petauke district to ferry people from Nyimba, Petauke and Katete to Chipata during the filing of nomination papers this Friday just to show that the MMD was still very popular in Chipata, even after his resignation from the party.

“Some of these people will masquerade as PF members who will be resigning from PF to join MMD on the pretext that Mangani is a bad leader who is dividing PF,” Mangani said.

“This is their plan for Friday. But I want them to know that this culture of ferrying and hiring people doesn’t solve anything because these people will not be the voters. I have also noticed that this culture of ferrying people is fast growing. Recently, Mr Rupiah Banda ferried a lot of people from Lusaka to attend his rally in Kabwe, pretending that his rally was well attended. Anyway, I wish them well in their manoeuvres.”

Mangani paid tribute to all the security wings for trying hard to remain professional “during this trying moment”.

“I know this is a very difficult time for them,” Mangani said.

“But let them always remember that politicians come and go and that Zambia is bigger than all of us. Let all the security wings continue to maintain peace in the country and allow all citizens to enjoy their political rights and freedoms as enshrined in the Constitution without any hindrance.”

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home