Thursday, September 01, 2011

Envoy to Nigeria embroiled in MMD campaigns

Envoy to Nigeria embroiled in MMD campaigns
By Mwala Kalaluka in Mongu
Thu 01 Sep. 2011, 11:59 CAT

ZAMBIA's High Commissioner to Nigeria Alexis Luhila says he cannot deny that he is MMD because he is still a party sympathiser.

Reacting to assertions by some MMD and government officials that Luhila, a former provincial minister for Western Province, was in the area to campaign for President Banda and the MMD, Luhila begged The Post not to write the story describint it as "false".

Luhila, who wanted to know the source of the information, provided a lengthy explanation that his visit to Mongu was connected to the installation of headman Silembe in Lukulu district, where he hails from.

Luhila said those saying he was the MMD's lead campaigner in the province were very cruel and ungrateful people.

"People who are doing that are cruel...No, no, aaah," Luhila said in an interview on Sunday. "But you see, I was minister for Western Province. Not only that, national trustee, and there is no one I don't know in MMD, including the former PS (permanent secretary), Ikanuke Noyoo. It was me who recommended him when I was a minister here. You know that. He was our party secretary. We recommended him together with Namakau Mubita and the one in Shangombo, Kabayo, so that they become DCs and I am happy yesterday he came to see me."

Luhila said he was still an MMD card-carrying member and that when time to vote in this year's elections comes, he will know where to cast his vote.

"Of course, you see, when voting we shall vote. You see, but to involve me in politics, please save me," said Luhila whilst clapping his hands. "I cannot say that I am not MMD, when I am still a sympathiser. When you open my briefcase, you will see my card. Although it has not been renewed since 2007...because of being abroad."

Luhila said maybe the only thing that could connect him to the MMD's political activities in the Western Province was that he asked the party secretariat to intervene in the issue of provincial party chairman Simasiku Namakando's admission to the University Teaching Hospital UTH high cost facility.

"We are not interested in wranglings. We have participated in politics, it is enough," Luhila said. "I am sure you have heard and you will leave it at that because when you write about it, it starts as a controversy. When I get to Abuja, I have no time to start replying."

Luhila said his diplomatic contract in Nigeria is supposed to come to an end on October 31, 2011.
Sources told The Post that Luhila, who has been having meetings with MMD cadres, who include provincial chairlady Namukolo Mupo, provincial vice-chairman Katongo Kameya, youth chairman Njamba Musanga and others, was in the province to campaign for the MMD.

"He has been chosen as the lead campaigner here," one of the sources said.

Another source also complained over the MMD leadership's failure to evacuate Namakando to South Africa following his illness like it had been doing for other senior party officials.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home