Saturday, October 29, 2011

Banda not worried about his immunity

Banda not worried about his immunity
By Moses Kuwema
Sat 29 Oct. 2011, 14:00 CAT

RUPIAH Banda says he is not worried with the removal of his immunity by Parliament. Responding to questions from journalists after he signed a book of condolences on Thursday at the Saudi Arabian embassy in Lusaka, Banda said it was not part of the Constitution that when a president loses an election, their immunity must be removed.

Former president Banda said this in response of a question that was asked to him if he was pushing for a pact with the UPND so as to escape the removal of his immunity.

"Why? Is it that part of the constitution that when a president losses election, you must take his immunity? Is that part of our Constitution? I am not worried about any immunity, about anything and in any case when the PF and UPND had a pact was there a question of immunity? Pacts come and go in politics. You remember my words that my pact is with the Zambian people. Anyone who wants to work with me if I was still an active politician I would welcome you," said Banda.

Banda denied being in a pact with the UPND, saying that was not an issue.

Asked how he was settling after losing the elections to PF leader Michael Sata, Banda responded: "No as you can see they put me in a lodge where... I am still staying there until Sunday when I move to the house which the government is renting for me and I really should not be complaining publicly. If there is anything I can talk to him straight. I know what you mean, you have been reading in the papers but that may be just politics I think I am quite happy to be in my country and to be seeing you."

On the gold scam, Banda said he was not even aware that there was such a thing.

"...I didn't even know there was a scam because it happened in my time, there was no such a thing. I only heard afterwards from the DEC Drug Enforcement Commission that they had sold the gold as they should have done. What would we have done with the gold, keeping it?

So as far as I am concerned there is no scam," Banda said.

And Banda said President Sata should not look over his shoulders as to what his Banda feelings would be with the decision of removing some government officials that were appointed by him.

"I told President Sata when we met immediately after I lost the elections, that everything I did it was my right, it was my duty as president to do and now he is president and he is free to do everything that is good for the Zambian people. He should not look over his shoulder as to what my feelings are. I support him, he is the president and I am sure that what he is doing is for the good of the country. I also found some people, I also removed some people although I kept the majority but we were the same party. Don't forget that I took over from the MMD so for him this is a complete change so I do not feel anything," Banda said.

Meanwhile, Banda said the death of Saudi Arabia Crown Prince Sultan bin Abdulaziz al Saud was a great loss to Zambia, Africa and the world.

"...I felt very sad to hear that our brothers and sisters in Saudi Arabia and the King have lost a prominent son. I was honoured to have met him in Southern Sudan I think those of you who were there... he was leading a delegation from the Saudi so it is a great loss to our country, it is a great loss to Africa, a great loss to the world so I am happy to be able to sign the book," he said.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home