Thursday, October 20, 2011

(ZIMPAPERS) VP Mujuru: 5th most powerful woman in Africa

VP Mujuru: 5th most powerful woman in Africa
Posted by By Our reporter at 20 October, at 04 : 16 AM

VICE-PRESIDENT Joice Mujuru was ranked as the fifth most influential woman in the African continent by the newly launched Forbes Africa magazine. The magazine was launched at the end of September 2011, but was available on international shelves on October 1.

Liberian president, Ellen Johnson Sirleaf topped the 20 most influential women in Africa in the magazine’s first ever list. She narrowly beat Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, Nigeria’s minister of Finance, who was second in the list.

The list was compiled with strict criteria used by researchers working for Forbes Africa.

The daughter of Angola’s president, Isabel Dos Santos is number seven and Nelson Mandela’s wife and former wife of Mozambique leader, Graca Machel is number 15.

VP Mujuru said the honour was not only significant to her personally, but to the country at large.

“Surely, it’s something to be happy about but it doesn’t end with me,” she said.

“It also spreads to the community, to the persons that are supporting me in whatever they have seen worthy or credible talking about in terms of my contribution to the nation.

“To me, it’s a credit that should go to my fellow comrades, those that fought with me in the trenches during the war and now, and this I would also want to dedicate to my late husband without whom I would not have managed to be free and about, doing my business without hindrance.

“You know very few men would allow you to do your business.”

VP Mujuru paid tribute to Zanu-PF and its leadership.

“And mind you, without the party and His Excellency President Mugabe I wouldn’t have done what I have done in life, which most people have seen and read about because this has to do with community programmes where I have been promoting family dignity,” she said.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home