Thursday, June 21, 2012

Kanganja pledges to help with probe of Capt Chewe

Kanganja pledges to help with probe of Capt Chewe
By Bright Mukwasa and Ernest Chanda
Thu 21 June 2012, 13:24 CAT

DR Joshua Kanganja has pledged to cooperate with investigative wings regarding the ongoing probe into alleged fraud involving Captain Austin Chewe's company, Aupie Limited.

The joint investigation team last Friday searched Captain Chewe's company, Aupie Agrofoam Limited and his house on suspicion of fraud, an allegation he denied.

Dr Kanganja, who is immediate past secretary to the Cabinet, confirmed that during his tenure at the helm of the civil service, many civil servants complained about being wrongly deducted by Aupie Limited.

When contacted for comment based on the information The Post had in its possession that he was also a victim of wrongful deductions by Aupie Limited, Dr Kanganja who first gave a prolonged laughter, later said: "I think the matter is being investigated, I think I will not say anything at the moment."

Asked if he remembered receiving complaints from civil servants about unsolicited deductions from Aupie Limited, Dr Kanganja answered in the affirmative.

"I had heard of complaints, yes. I think some people complained. To the best of my knowledge, we advised people to lodge complaints. Complaints were there, that I can confirm. If the investigators want me they can contact me. The investigators haven't contacted me; but there were complaints," said Dr Kanganja in an interview yesterday.

But Aupie Limited proprietor Captain Chewe last week told The Post that the matter was a story of blackmail by a former employee of the company.

He denied that his company could be involved in money laundering activities.

Capt Chewe said complaints of wrongful deductions could be there but they were not deliberate.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home