Thursday, January 10, 2013

Masebo maintains stance on hunting concessions

Masebo maintains stance on hunting concessions
By Moses Kuwema
Thu 10 Jan. 2013, 14:00 CAT

TOURISM minister Sylvia Masebo says she will not be intimidated by "mafia tactics" to reverse her decision to ban safari hunting concessions. And Vice-President Guy Scott says the government is not interested in running a colonial-era kind of wildlife.

During a stakeholders consultative workshop at Mulungushi International Conference Centre yesterday, Masebo said she was aware of some individuals that were trying to discredit her following the action she took.

"I am not intimidated by mafia tactics and please don't be used by these mafias to fabricate stories. I know they will even try to get space by influencing the President to have me fired and the only way they can survive is to get people like me outside their way. But one thing for sure is that I have no problem being unpopular because I will do my job to the best of my ability," Masebo said.

Masebo said she would not be corrupted into doing things that would not benefit Zambians.

"Nobody can corrupt me. I have never been corrupted and shall never be and worse more now when I am getting old. I don't want to spend my time going to court, for what?"she said.

And Vice-President Scott said the PF spent 10 years in the opposition because they wanted to change things in the country.
He said the decision to cancel safari hunting concessions was not motivated by personal interests but that the government was thinking about the village scouts and communities.

"Constructive suggestions, we are interested in receiving them but not allegations. We fought to be in this government to change things and we are not going to be like the people we got rid of. Our guiding line is change for the better. We are determined to fix something wrong in this sector. We need to make serious human welfare out of the wildlife sector," Vice-President Scott said.

He said there was a general breakdown of law and order and that the government wanted a wildlife sector that would provide jobs to the communities.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home