Tuesday, June 25, 2013

(TALKZIMBABWE) MDC-T protestors storm party HQ
This article was written by Our reporter on 21 June, at 21 : 44 PM

On Friday over 100 MDC-T protestors stormed the party’s headquarters, Harvest House, demanding answers over the imposition of candidates by the party’s leadership.

Reports from Harare say around 12pm on Friday the chanting protesters were outside Harvest House demanding to see party national organising secretary Nelson Chamisa.

The protesters wanted to beat up Chamisa saying he was the one who was leading the imposition of candidates.

Chamisa who was at the party headquarters at the time was secretly whisked away through a secret exit to avoid the angry protestors.


The protest was triggered off by the imposition of Elias Jembere, who is the current MDC-T MP for Epworth, to run again for the constituency. This is despite the fact that Jembere lost during the primaries.

There was violence in Epworth during the MDC-T primary elections. Many of those contesting the elections ran away with ballot boxes. The who exercise was later abandoned.

Protestors at Harvest House carried placards which read “Losers Must Go”, “Democracy Under Attack”, “Chamisa We Need Answers” and “We Want New Elections”.

Efforts to contact MDC-T spokesman, Douglas Mwonzora, proved fruitless

MDC-T primary elections started over a month ago and have been characterised by violence. In Mutare there was violence between supporters of sitting MP Giles Mutsekwa and those of aspiring candidate Arnold Tsunga, a lawyer who has until recently was the Director of the Africa Regional Programme of the International Commission of Jurists.

There was also violence recorded in Lower Gweru, Bulawayo and Vungu where protesters said there was imposition of candidates who were favoured by the party’s leadership, not by the people.

Last week an MDC-T activist Ernest Banda had his home in Highfield, Harare petrol-bombed in the early hours the morning.


Banda said he suspects that his house was attacked by people sent by a member of his MDC-T party who is an aspiring candidate for Highfield West constituency.

He alleged the person had been sending him threats via cellphone text messages, adding that he was targeted as he has links with the sitting member of the House of Assembly Mr Simon Hove.

The matter was reported to ZRP Machipisa under RRB number 1800197.


Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home