Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Katumbi discusses mining deals with chief Puta

Katumbi discusses mining deals with chief Puta
By Sandra Mulowa
Tuesday January 08, 2008 [03:00]

Democratic Republic of Congo's Katanga Province governor Moses Katumbi last month 'chartered' a plane to ferry senior chief Puta of the Bwile people of Luapula Province to Lubumbashi to discuss mining agreements in Chiengi district. According to sources among traditional leaders in Luapula, chief Puta was first invited to the DRC by Katumbi in October last year but only went to meet him in December.

"The first time there were some officials from Congo who collected chief Puta and they went by road," the source said.

"After a day, the chief came back after meeting with governor Katumbi. A few days later, governor Katumbi sent a plane to pick up chief Puta. We hear that on the same plane, there was Katanga Province Minister of Mines and a government official who were tasked to pick up chief Puta."

The source said Katumbi invited chief Puta to discuss exclusive mining investment rights in chief Puta's chiefdom by DRC's Anvil Mining Company, which is believed to be owned by Katumbi.

When contacted yesterday, chief Puta confirmed having gone to the DRC to meet with Katumbi.

"I met him... but who told you?" chief Puta asked, while laughing. "I went to Congo but I didn't follow him (Katumbi). I followed Anvil Mining. I don't want to comment on that but I went there because Anvil mining has been given a very big area by government, government sold it to Anvil. My interest was to stop them from working here (Chiengi). Anvil has taken a big part already in Kapulo, Kasama and Pweto in Congo."

Chief Puta said his predecessor had refused to work with Anvil Mining.

"My late uncle refused to work with them. I told them I don't want to work with them. I don't want to comment much because government is involved, the Ministry of Mines is involved," chief Puta said.

Asked to confirm reports that he had first gone to Congo by road and later using a plane which was sent for him, chief Puta replied: "Ee, chali ifyofine (Yes, that is what happened.) On that, I can't comment. The Ministry of Mines is handling the issue.

I don't want to make a mistake. If I comment I can make a mistake like VJ (former information minister Vernon Mwaanga) did."

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home