Thursday, September 18, 2008

Callers annoy Mwaanga

Callers annoy Mwaanga
By Chibaula Silwamba
Thursday September 18, 2008 [04:00]

Callers to Radio QFM on Tuesday night annoyed Vernon Mwaanga when they frequently warned and pleaded with him not to rig the October 30 presidential elections. Featuring on a Radio QFM phone-in programme, Mwaanga angrily said he was tired of people frequently accusing him of rigging elections. Meanwhile, Mwaanga who is commonly called VJ, failed to categorically answer whether or not he would take up an appointment if Vice-President Rupiah Banda offered him one.

Below are some of the callers' questions and Mwaanga's responses:

Peter Zulu: How did you manage to rig the elections in 2001?
Mwaanga: I did not rig elections in 2001.

Interviewer: Do you rig elections especially that you are a former intelligence officer and why is it that the opposition is scared of you?

Mwaanga: I suppose they opposition parties are scared of me because I am an election strategist. I look at the voters' registers and I say to our election workers: “you concentrate on campaigning in areas where we have majority voters, target voters in those areas”.

For example in MMD we have branches, wards, constituencies and we also have polling campaign committee around polling stations and I find that these door-to-door campaigns are much more effective than holding political rallies. Political rallies are good for public morale and showing the world that you have support, but in the final analysis they don't win elections. That has been my experience over the years. My strategy has always been campaigning in areas where it matters most where we can get the best votes.

No one has come up with any evidence to suggest that I rigged any election. They just talk about it maybe just for public amusement but no one has come up with concrete facts to come and say “this man has rigged this election and this is how he has done it” and taken me to court, had me convicted. I would have been in jail by now. I can never rig elections; I am too much of a democrat to rig elections.

Mulenga Mwape: Mr Mwaanga, aren't you ashamed of yourself? All the people know that you are just telling lies. Are you looking for a job? Aren't you tired of those dirty politics?

Mwaanga: You have no manners and I hope you will be better taught next time by your parents.

Derrick Lufundo: Obviously the MMD are going to win because of your political rigging, you have the master piece of doing it. It was not dismantled after 2001 elections.

Mwaanga: I don't know who told you that I want to come back to politics because I don't want to come back to politics but just like you forthrightly expressed your views, I also have my own views and I should be allowed to express my views. That is what democracy is all about. Don't vent your frustration on me.

Another caller: The last time Mr Sata was on radio, he mentioned that the MMD is bringing you to come and rig the forthcoming election. So I just want to know what your take is on this.

Mwaanga: I have never rigged an election. If you know of anyone who says I have rigged elections can they please produce evidence and take me to court and have me convicted because I am just tired of hearing people making extravagant statements about rigging elections when from their hearts of hearts they know that I have never rigged elections.

Chewe: I want to advise the old man VJ that it's important if he can be aloof in the forthcoming election then the Zambians are going to be safe because it is a well known fact that he is the analyst and a man who can rig elections.

Mwaanga: I am not a corruption product. I have not come into office through any corrupt means. If he has got evidence, why didn't he challenge me and take me to the ACC? There is no point in coming to Radio QFM and complain when there are agents paid to investigate. You are not going to conduct a Spanish Inquisition only because I am on Radio QFM. There are agencies; if you have information, go to them and tell them what you know about how I have rigged elections in the past, but I can assure you that I will be found clean and innocent.

Mphande: I don't know why VJ is there. He should not come back now. Let him rest.
Mwaanga: If you have decided to rest, you cannot temper with my rights as a citizen. You have your rights, I respect your rights and you must respect my rights.

Muyangana Michael Bwalya: I have a lot of respect for your political legacy but I have a question based on your political strategising. You mentioned that you look at voters' register to guide the ruling party. Does every political party has access to that register?
Mwaanga: Yes, every political party has access to that register; they can be bought from ECZ. They are public documents. In recent past, political parties have bought these registers.

Robert: Will you answer me truthfully? Right now we have a long queue of job seekers in the MMD. There are a lot of people surrounding Rupiah Banda. You having retired from active politics but given a chance, will you take a job if he offered you a job? Don't you feel pity for RB that he is surrounded by these political vulctures?

Mwaanga: I know no political vultures or job seekers that are surrounding him. If he were to offer me a job will I take it? That is a bridge to far at the moment. We will cross the bridge when we get there. We are not there yet.

I am not here to look for a job, I am only here to assist Mr Banda and my party win the presidential by-election on the 30th of October. Every Zambian is entitled to offer support to a candidate of their choice. That is what I am doing. It is a right, I fought for this right.

Mwangala: Mr Mwaanga, you are saying you are a consultant; tell us what kind of a company you registered as a consultant. And just a month ago you were invited in Zimbabwe. Tell us what you actually went to do in Zimbabwe where you had a conversation with Robert Mugabe, the Zimbabwe electoral commission. Most of the callers are highly suspicious about what you are going to do with MMD because there is no smoke without fire. Let us face facts.

Mwaanga: In this case there is smoke without fire and you are the one who is producing that smoke. I went to Zimbabwe and I talked with President Mugabe, I talked to the electoral commission and I also talked to the Morgan Tsvangirai and I talked to Professor Jonathan Moyo and I talked to Professor Authur Mutambara of the MDC and I am happy that yesterday Monday they signed an agreement to form a government of national unity. That is what I have been advocating since the election of March 2008. I talked to the electoral commission because I wanted to know why the election results were taking long to release and after the June 27 elections the results were released while I was there, in Zimbabwe.

There is a democratic deficit in Zimbabwe which we all acknowledge; I acknowledged that when I talked to President Mugabe. The power-sharing agreement is to pave way for conditions to hold elections.

Another caller: Some time back you announced your retirement, I am now disappointed that you have come back supporting RB. My advice is that it would have been better for you to be non partisan and just remain an advisor.

Mwaanga: When I was announcing my retirement from active politics, I made it clear that I would remain a member of the MMD because I am one of the founders of this party and that I would speak out on matters of national interest. The selection of the president is a matter of national interest and I have every right to express my views and express my preference.

Some callers backed Mwaanga's support for Vice-President Banda.
Mwaanga also advised Vice-President Banda not to assent the bills which the National Assembly passed aimed at increasing salaries and allowances for constitutional office holders. “If it will be withdrawn early enough. I don't think it will affect the MMD in the elections,” said Mwaanga.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home