Thursday, May 28, 2009

Siulapwa apologises to Sata, M’membe

Siulapwa apologises to Sata, M’membe
Written by Chibaula Silwamba
Thursday, May 28, 2009 2:47:30 PM

NEW Generation Party president Humphrey Siulapwa has apologised to Patriotic Front (PF) president Michael Sata, Post editor Fred M'membe and other Zambians over his disparaging remarks against them during the campaigns for the MMD last year.

In a walk-in interview at Post newspapers offices in Lusaka on Tuesday, Siulapwa said he regretted his disrespectful remarks against Sata, M'membe and other Zambians and therefore sought their forgiveness.

"I remember during the campaign especially during the final rally of the MMD in Mandevu, I used a slogan which unfortunately has not gone down well with a cross section of people.

The slogan was in Bemba: “Nganalanda ati ba Sata, imwe kwasuka ati lishilu. [if I say Mr Sata, you answer that he is a mad man]," Siulapwa said. "I have decided that I apologise and I have written a personal letter to Mr Sata to find space in his heart to forgive me."

And in his letter dated May 20, 2009 to Sata, Siulapwa stated that he regretted that he had insulted the opposition leader, his wife and the entire family.

"Yes, you have not complained to me but a cross section of people has spoken to me on your behalf. They say my slogan was disrespectful to an elderly person like you. Some have actually gone a step further to say in our culture that was tantamount to insults. I feel bad and guilty when I reflect on this issue," Siulapwa stated.

"It is with this background that I request you to find space in your heart to forgive me. Kindly also apologise for me to your wife and your family."

He stated that he would look up to Sata as his "father" and senior politician. "Where we go wrong, kindly feel free to advise and direct us," stated Siulapwa. And Siulapwa said he had offended M'membe and asked him to forgive him.

"The other person that I feel I must also publicly apologise to is Fred M'membe. I remember on one radio interview I did personally attack him," Siulapwa said. "I have also realised that I must avoid personal attacks as much as possible but concentrate on tackling issues. That is my new resolve."

Siulapwa said he had also realised that in his political career, he had knowingly or unknowingly verbally attacked and offended many other people apart from Sata and M'membe hence he wanted them to also forgive him.

"Zambia needs reconciliation. It is only when people have reconciled and they are able to discuss their differences that a number of our problems can be found. This reconciliation needs to start with leaders - political leaders, civil society, the church, professional leaders, etc. Since in the recent past I have been calling for reconciliation and people to use better language, I feel I am obliged also to do my part and apologise to the people I have offended," said Siulapwa.

"Having apologised, I would like to say that I will continue criticising constructively with facts and with respect due to all human beings."

On Sunday during a press briefing, Siulapwa said MMD had been abusing him and his colleagues for the last five years to campaign and defend government programmes without benefits.

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home