Thursday, December 24, 2009

LAZ's call on DPP to resign is water under the bridge - Banda

LAZ's call on DPP to resign is water under the bridge - Banda
By Chibaula Silwamba, Zumani Katasefa and Abigail Chaponda
Thu 24 Dec. 2009, 04:01 CAT

PRESIDENT Rupiah Banda yesterday shielded Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) Chalwe Mchenga, saying LAZ's call on Mchenga to resign was water under the bridge.

Commenting on Law Association of Zambia (LAZ) and other stakeholders' demand that Mchenga should resign because he had failed to independently perform his duties, President Banda said changing the DPP would bring chaos in Zambia.

“I think that we passed through that. The Vice-President is here, why, why are you trying to get something else? He was more clear than anybody can be. He is our Minister of Justice, he is the one that answers on our behalf to the Law Association of Zambia, which they did,” President Banda said.

“I have since had an opportunity to talk to a number of people, they feel that this is water past the bridge. I don't think that people can try and keep it alive. It is not possible. The DPP, everybody knows has the power to decide how to proceed on these matters. I think that we leave it that way otherwise our country will go into chaos if we change the system.”

President Banda was responding to a question from The Post on demands that Mchenga must resign. This was before he and his family left for Mfuwe where they have gone for Christmas holiday.

And President Banda said he was proud that the Zambian economy did not sink during the global economic crisis this year.

“I want to take this opportunity also to say goodbye to all of you and to the country and to wish you a Merry Christmas and prosperous New Year. Those of us who can afford it, I know it's very difficult but I wish you all the best. With regard to the next year, my performance and the performance of all my colleagues is to keep pushing. We realise that we are able to succeed,” President Banda said.

“Those of you who know during the difficulties that the world economy was facing, we called upon all of you to rally behind and see that our economy does not sink and I think that I can stand in front of you and proudly say our economy did not sink and on the contrary we made a lot of progress. As you know the figures are well known to you and none of the mines eventually closed and there was only one that tried to close but we took it over; yesterday Tuesday I inaugurated the first production of this Luanshya Copper Mine.

“So in the New Year we would like the same. Also we would like once again to call upon the Zambian people, we have enough problems as it is we want to concentrate on them, be united and keep the peace of our country. This country is not ours alone, the leaders; it belongs to the people and I think that it is important that the people feel that the leaders are doing everything possible to enhance unity and peace in their country.”

However, President Banda declined to rate his performance.
“I think that you should rate me and not me rate myself,” said President Banda.

President Banda is going for holiday with his wife Thandiwe, his twin young children, his older son Dingani and several other family members.

After speaking to journalists as and he was heading to board the Zambia Air Force (ZAF) plane, President Banda remarked: “I am going to put off my trousers and put on my short.”

And President Banda on Tuesday disclosed that late president Levy Mwanawasa told him that he would one day succeed him.

During the production resumption ceremony at China Luanshya Mine (CLM), President Banda said he was very proud that president Mwanawasa advised him well.

President Banda said a Vice-President was not miles away from becoming a Republican President.
“When my late brother late president Mwanawasa brought me from my village to be his Vice-President, he told me that he knew that one day I will be able to succeed him, and I am very proud that he always better advised me,” said President Banda who was accompanied by Vice-President George Kunda and Dr Kenneth Kaunda.

He said it was important to include Vice-President Kunda in his entourage to Luanshya to witness the celebrations on the production resumption of Luanshya mines because he was born and bred in Luanshya.

He said Vice-President Kunda was a role model of the young people of Luanshya and urged them to work hard at school so that they could one day head such high offices.

President Banda described himself as a servant of the people.

He said it was his duty to serve the people of Zambia and not to be thanked.

“I did not come here for people to thank me or give me praises. It is my duty to come here and celebrate with you because I am a servant of the people,” President Banda said.

He said his duty was to ensure that people had jobs and their lives improved.

President Banda said former president Dr Kenneth Kaunda taught him how to serve people and this was why he did not address him as Dr but Professor.

He urged the Cabinet ministers and other government workers to serve selflessly, saying leaders who worked to serve their own personal egos would not last long.

“We are there to work for the people not to be thinking about our personal egos, that is failed leadership,” said President Banda.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home