Wednesday, March 24, 2010

(NYASATIMES) Gospel celeb George Mkandawire speaks out on social woes

Gospel celeb George Mkandawire speaks out on social woes
By Nyasa Times
Published: March 23, 2010

Gospel artist George Mkandawire has spoken out on media reports which have implicated him in social woes including allegations of sexual acts and binge drinking.

Mkandawire hit headlines in the sex and scandal Weekend Times over reports that he snatched the wife of his uncle under whose tutelage he had been. He was also reported in the press to suffer from binge drinking which has stifled his performance on stage lately.

But speaking on Capital Radio Straight Talk programme, the talented singer denied all allegations of indulgence after presenter Brian Banda raised the issues with him.

“People do fabricate things. I am surprised with our country because it’s not only here in Malawi. Even if you go in England people do gossip a lot. I don’t know what’s wrong with us Malawians.”

He denied published reports that he snatched his uncle’s wife.

“The so-called uncle wishes me dead; what can he say about me. People are saying things that are not true. The so-called uncle calls your mum ‘aunt’ how can that be.

“There isn’t any element of truth in it. Even if you are crazy or possibly intoxicated, how can you do that with the same woman in the house when you know the husband is in the bedroom? How can you?

“I stayed with him not that he looked after him. I took care of him. I am the one that paid the rent. He used me. Actually he enjoyed most of the stuff than my mother.

“I was paying for rent, bills, DSTV because the dude has been out of work since 2003 yet the guy claims he got the pension from David Whitehead and Sons.”

Mkandawire said he started living with his uncle when he was deported from the United Kingdom and added his removal from UK was a set-up by friends who reported him to authorities.

Nonetheless, Mkandawire said his marriage with his wife who remained in England remained intact despite the bad press.

“I could have shown you my ring but I have put on a lot of weight and it was like cutting me off.”

The gospel singer also denied reports that he has been involved in binge drinking which has made him fail to sing at live shows.

“I would say people will talk and talk, I let them talk and talk, I am still standing. Recently, it was in the paper in which I don’t read that paper. I drink water, I drink Sobo and I do drink excessive water. I am not a celebrity. I am just me. I am just doing what I can do,” said Mkandawire who disclosed he is now working on a new album.


Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home