Tuesday, September 14, 2010

It will be irresponsible for us to divorce - GBM

It will be irresponsible for us to divorce - GBM
By Chibaula Silwamba
Tue 14 Sep. 2010, 04:02 CAT

IT will be irresponsible for us to divorce, Kasama Central PF member of parliament Geoffrey Bwalya Mwamba (GBM) said yesterday. In an interview after he was arrested for assaulting his wife Chama, GBM said he had reconciled with his wife.

“She is the mother of my five children and grandmother of my three grand children so it will irresponsible for the two of us to divorce,” GBM said.

“I have said sorry to my wife for what happened and she has accepted my apology. I also continue to apologise to the public and I expect that they will accept my apology. I am really sorry. My wife and I have lived together for more than 32 years. This means that we have spent more than half our lives together, so it will be very irresponsible for us to divorce at this stage. What happened is unfortunate and I most regret it. Those who have followed my family life know that I love my wife and she loves me. This is how we intend to continue living as a family.”

Earlier, officers at Woodlands Police Station in Lusaka formally arrested GBM for assault.

GBM, who arrived at the police station arm-in-arm with his wife around 14:00 hours - was charged with assault occasioning actual bodily harm and will appear in the Lusaka Magistrate’s court on Thursday.

“I have been formally arrested and I will appear in court on Thursday September 16, 2010,” GBM said.

GBM was at Woodlands police station for about one hour. After being arrested, he waited for a while to have his police bond signed because the officer-in-charge was away. When the officer-in-charge arrived, GBM and his wife went to the officer-in-charge’s office to finalise the bond process.

Lusaka businessman Sydney Chileshe and National Revolution Party (NRP) leader Cosmo Mumba signed for GBM’s bond as sureties.

GBM, who held Chama’s arm as they were leaving the police station smiled while his wife looked shyly.

GBM’s lawyer Mumba Kapumpa refused to comment and stopped his client from making any statement to journalists.

Last Sunday, GBM battered his wife Chama over a marital dispute. A medical report revealed that she sustained a cut on her forehead and general body pains.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home