Thursday, September 09, 2010

Magande justifies decision not to contest expulsion

Magande justifies decision not to contest expulsion
By Patson Chilemba
Thu 09 Sep. 2010, 04:10 CAT

NG’ANDU Magande yesterday justified his decision not to contest his expulsion and the Chilanga parliamentary seat, saying he does not want to be part of the wastage of resources through by-elections.

Justifying his decision not to contest his expulsion and the Chilanga seat where he is member of parliament, Magande said he had accepted his expulsion from the ruling MMD. He said there was too much wastage of public resources on by-elections.

“I am not happy that we are wasting money on a very unnecessary exercise. And even if I were to contest, I would be wasting my resources on a very unnecessary exercise. Very soon, it will be rain season. I think if I have a little bit of money I would rather give it to relatives to grow crops for the nation to eat,” Magande said.

“This is completely unnecessary, but also I already said having been an MP and minister and having been an economist, I can’t go back to repeat my achievements.”

Magande said he saw no need of re-contesting the Chilanga seat because the next state of management from being a minister was the Republican presidency. He said he was happy that he was out of the MMD as that would give him more room to consult.

“And so far the people are saying ‘that is the direction we want to promote you to’. That time remaining before the general elections doesn’t matter really. I think people they don’t need to vote for parties, and that’s what we have been doing,” Magande said.

“We end up with wrong leaders of those parties and they end up leading the country. I am presenting myself as Magande for now as a leader. I will find a political party whether by registration or by adoption by one of the existing ones. I hope while I am consulting there will be a movement in my support.”

Magande said it was a pity he was leaving the MMD in the current state, adding that most people who believed in its principles were no more.

He said the people in the MMD leadership were now serving their own agenda.

“I just want to wish them luck wherever they want to take MMD. If they are bringing it to the people, I hope the people are going to continue to insist that ‘we want democracy’,” said Magande.

“So for now ask me what I intend to do for the younger people, the retirees who are queuing again for their monthly payment, the civil service now where there are so many people being recruited who don’t know the systems and so on. I want to give the Zambian people hope in whatever I am going to do, that I am a leader.”

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home