Tuesday, November 06, 2012

Bad judiciary can lead to a failed state - Chongwe

Bad judiciary can lead to a failed state - Chongwe
By Allan Mulenga
Tue 06 Nov. 2012, 14:40 CAT

DR Rodger Chongwe says a dysfunctional judiciary can lead the country into a failed state. Dr Chongwe, who is a legal consultant, said there was need for the government to make the judiciary functional. He, however, said the government was on track in terms of judicial reforms.

"We are on the right course because the problems that we have in this country, take for example, the judiciary, it is not an isolated problem.

This problem has surfaced in Senegal; it has surfaced in Kenya; it was a problem in Liberia where I was sent to assist in the rehabilitation of the judiciary there. It was a problem in Sierra Leone. It was a problem at one time in Ghana, but these problems were sorted out," he said.

"What the new government is seeking to do is to make the judiciary functional because if it stays as dysfunctional as it is now, it will create a failed state."

Dr Chongwe also urged the government to go the Kenya way in the constitution-making process.

In Kenya, the process was led by a committee of experts who advised the constitution -making body.

"I think it is the modalities on how to do it. My view is this that let us take the Senegalese way. Let us take the Kenyan way because we understand the Kenyan way is working. I have myself worked in Kenya to try to bring about a new constitution for that country in 1999," he said.

"Although I didn't succeed, but nonetheless I went there and we discussed the judiciary; we discussed the legislature and we discussed the executive and the anti-corruption commission and also the media."

Asked on his presidential ambitions, Dr Chongwe, who was featuring on Muvi TV's The Assignment programme on Sunday evening, responded: "I am 74 years of age; I think that my generation will end with Mr. Sata's presidency. We are out of it.

We are here to assist in building the nation of Zambia. My generation is the President's generation; he is only one year older than me. The previous president Rupiah Banda is also one year older than me. We have had our chance; let us give chance to our sons and daughters because if we don't give you any chance you will never be president..."

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home