Friday, March 08, 2013

Sata appoints 2 more UPND MPs

Sata appoints 2 more UPND MPs
By Moses Kuwema and Kombe Chimpinde
Fri 08 Mar. 2013, 14:00 CAT

PRESIDENT Michael Sata has appointed two more UPND members of parliament as deputy ministers. Meanwhile, re-elected PF Mpongwe member of parliament Gabriel Namulambe yesterday sat in the deputy ministers' pew, showing that a ministerial position has been given to him.

Sinjembela's Poniso Njeulu and Kalabo central's Chinga Miyutu have been appointed deputy ministers in the ministry of information and broadcasting, and sports respectively. Njeulu confirmed his appointment yesterday saying as far as he was concerned, he had not broken any law in the UPND.

"If anything, as members of parliament, we are already in government. We just use our parties as tickets to get there. This is an added responsibility.

I will now do two jobs, making of laws and implementing government programmes through the fostering of development. Even the UPND, I don't think they have said it is an offence to accept a position in government," he said.
Njeulu also said he had no disciplinary case pending with his party.

"I will be direct now with the government and it will be easy now to develop Sinjembela, Sioma and Shan'gombo unlike what was obtaining when I was in the opposition. I will be in direct contact with government," said Njeulu.
And Miyutu, who could not confirm, said whatever appointment would come his way would benefit the people of Kalabo.

"I have not yet attained that position. You attain that position when you are sworn in, before swearing in, it means it is not something that you should talk about. I have capacities and many roles to play in life. When I feel that there is need to act in a positive way, I act in a positive way. I represent the multitude in Kalabo who must also benefit through that person who they sent to Parliament. So if the appointment has to come, we have to look at the people who I am representing. How are they going to benefit because of this appointment?

To me what is in my heart is the people of Kalabo," he said.
Miyutu said his interest was to serve the people of Kalabo.
He said there was no way he could decline something that would benefit the people of Kalabo.

"It is better for me to resign as a member of parliament. I should not look at myself, the salary that I get is from government, so I have to work for the people of Kalabo in many ways. The people of Kalabo need someone who can work for them. I am not looking at myself because I am physically fit myself, I can fend for myself. I have to consider who is going to benefit from this position if it is to come. I have to be wise if that is to come my way.

My prayer is that whatever comes should be directed to the people of Kalabo," said Miyutu.
Earlier in the afternoon, the UPND party spokesperson Charles Kakoma told journalists at a briefing that the party was aware of the appointment of two of its members of parliament by President Sata as deputy ministers.

And Namulambe who resigned from the MMD and was re-elected last week Thursday under the ruling PF, sat right behind the Minister of Foreign Affairs.
During the same session, Monze UPND member of parliament Jack Mwiimbu rose on a point of order asking the whereabouts of Njeulu and Miyutu.

"Mr Speaker, I rise on a serious point of order to find out where our outspoken and critic of this PF government and also about my friend Njeulu, whose microphone has also been disabled (removed), I have looked around and can't see them in this house," said Mwiimbu.

But Speaker Patrick Matibini responded that his office only keeps records of MPs doing parliamentary work.
"I don't keep track of MPs' personal engagements but I am sure they will be coming," said Dr Matibini.

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home