Wednesday, September 11, 2013

MPs have misrepresented Mkaika - UNIP candidate
By Christopher Miti in Chipata
Thu 22 Aug. 2013, 14:00 CAT

NELSON Mwale, the UNIP candidate in next month's Mkaika by-election, says the constituency has been poorly represented by previous members of parliament.

Featuring on a special Electoral Commission of Zambia sponsored programme on Breeze FM on Tuesday night, Mwale said previous MPs did not give feedback once they went to parliament.

He said as a result of poor representation, Mkaika had lagged behind in development.

"The time has come for people to see tangible development. I was prompted to stand after I saw that this place is behind in terms of development. I don't feel good to see the level of development in the area and that is the reason why I have decided to join the race for this seat. I want to help foster development in Mkaika," Mwale said.

He said Mkaika could develop fast because people were understanding and development-oriented.

"I have done well as a councillor so this time I want to do the same as a member of parliament. I can assure the people of Mkaika that I can do more if I am elevated by the people of Mkaika to be their MP," Mwale said.

He said it was disheartening to note that since Zambia's independence in 1964, Mkaika had only one secondary school with a lot of primary schools.

Mwale said roads were impassable while most areas had no safe water.

He said pregnant women and other people walked long distances to seek medical services.

"I can assure the people that if go to parliament, I will start with this project. We have no government hospital here; we depend on a mission hospital (St Francis) which is also congested. We had plans of putting up a government hospital but I don't know why such plans were discarded," said Mwale.

Other candidates contesting the Mkaika seat in the September 5 by-election are PF's David Phiri, MMD's Peter 'Kafunkha' Phiri and NAREP's Nigel Mpakateni.The seat fell vacant after David Phiri resigned from the MMD to join the PF.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home