Tuesday, March 09, 2010

Patrick Mwanawasa declares ambitions for Kafulafuta seat

Patrick Mwanawasa declares ambitions for Kafulafuta seat
By Ernest Chanda
Tue 09 Mar. 2010, 09:00 CAT

Featuring on Muvi Television’s Frank Talk in Lusaka on Sunday night, Patrick said life in State House somewhat detached him from reality in the rest of the country.

“From what I experienced, State House provided a life that is artificial because you are inside there; you are not really in touch with what is obtaining on the ground. And as such you feel comfortable in that same comfort zone, but what people are going through outside is not a true reflection of what you think is happening on the outside,” Patrick narrated.

“I became more weary of people such that I became more suspicious of people. I just didn’t take it for granted; I wanted to know a lot about them. I think that has kind of affected my personality, I actually don’t judge a book by its cover; instead I would rather want to get to find out more about a person before I can make judgement about them.”

When asked by the presenter Frank Mutubila if he had taken advantage of his late father’s status and acquired many girlfriends, Patrick answered in the negative.

“Not at all. You see I’ve asked several family members to advise… And as such I took a pragmatic approach in terms of having a relationship with a woman, especially girls. And as a result I could have had so many girls who really came to me but I did not seize the opportunity and get to them,” he said.

Patrick pleaded with the MMD leadership to adopt him in Kafulafuta purely on merit.
He said he would prefer to be adopted based on his ability to deliver.

“I don’t want the ruling party which is MMD, my party, I don’t want them to adopt me because they see it as a way of showing gratitude or favour to me. I would rather they incorporate me as their candidate because they believe I can help bring development to our people,” Patrick pleaded.

Asked if he had consulted the current area member of parliament George Mpombo, Patrick answered in the affirmative.

“Yes, I spoke to him for about an hour at National Assembly Motel some two months ago.

I made him aware of my ambition of standing in Kafulafuta come 2011. He told me that he will not contest those elections; and I kind of asked him ‘what ambitions have you got for the future?’

And he stated to me that he will be able to form a clear picture of what he wants to do in future come June,” Patrick explained. “From that point I tend to think that he might be waiting for the MMD convention then also maybe he will form his opinion.

But as a man who aspires to have high integrity levels I was thinking that maybe he is going to aspire for party presidency. Then I was thinking that by that virtue he would not be contesting for those parliamentary elections in 2011.”

When reminded that the MMD had lost popularity and people across the country wanted change, Patrick kept his faith in the party.

“I’ll stand on the MMD ticket if I get adopted. I will stand on the MMD ticket because it appeals to my lifestyle. I’m in middle class and I was brought up with a middle class background. And if you look at the MMD ideology it’s a social democratic ideology. It is centre based; it appeals to both the upper class and the lower class. So that is my reason why I’m standing on the MMD ticket,” said Patrick.

“When we talk about change at least we must understand what we want for ourselves. Yes, there’s a difference between President Rupiah Banda and my father. But one thing people should understand is that the new deal administration left some very important projects which, like if you watch Culture Remodeling on ZNBC Zambia National Broadcasting Corporation television you will see that the MMD government is working.”

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home