Wednesday, April 25, 2007

It was a slip of the tongue-- Daka

It was a slip of the tongue-- Daka
By Patson Chilemba
Wednesday April 25, 2007 [04:00]

IT was a slip of the tongue, science and technology minister Peter Daka has said over his statement that he beat up a motorist who flouted traffic regulations. Reversing his statement published in yesterday's edition of The Post that he beat up a motorist who flouted traffic regulations, Daka said he meant to say that it was the motorist that wanted to beat him.

He said instead of saying that the motorist wanted to beat him up he ended up saying that it was he that beat up the motorist.

"It was a slip of the tongue. It was him who wanted to beat me," Daka said. "I did get overboard with my statement. I didn't box him actually."

He said recently he was almost beaten by a motorist whom he reminded that he had flouted traffic regulations.

"It was then when I called Mr Robert Mtonga, the acting director of the Road Transport and Safety Agency (RTSA) that there is this man who wants to beat me. So Mr Mtonga came and picked him up and through my intervention, I said forgive him and let him go," he said. Daka said he was not a violent man, so much so that he could not even kill an ant.

And Mtonga said he received a phone call from Daka to intervene in a matter where he was almost beaten. "He called me and I went and picked up this man in Kaunda Square," said Mtonga.

During an awareness seminar on road safety on Monday, Daka - who was then communications and transport minister - narrated how he followed a motorist who flouted traffic regulations to his home and beat him up.

"There was this time I was on the street and one of the motorists tried to make an illegal turn in front of my vehicle. So I told him that you are flouting the regulations but he told me to get lost, so I followed him up to his place. I had to box him hard. I boxed him in front of his wife. I didn't tell him who I was," Daka narrated. "After I boxed him I called Mr Mtonga to come and arrest him."

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 8:09 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I suppose Minister Daka now wants us to believe that he never beat up this fellow he had earlier on claimed to have beaten.

Food for thought. If you are being threatened violence by some person you don't know one would have expected logic to suggest either running away and calling the police or calling the police but I certainly wouldn't have the ingenuity to call Mr. Mtonga from the Road Transport and Safety Agency.

Then again I am not Minister Daka.

Watch this space, there is more to come from our friend Minister Daka....!

 
At 5:06 PM , Blogger MrK said...

Just an observation. He is =>suing<= his wife's boyfriend.

I guess saying you beat someone up is free publicity. :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home