Monday, February 06, 2012

(NYASATIMES) Malawi officials in Mozambique to discuss Nsanje port

Malawi officials in Mozambique to discuss Nsanje port
By Nyasa Times Reporter

Four delegates from Malawi’s Ministry of Transport and Infrastructure Development led by Minister Sidik Mia are in Mozambique to discuss with authorities of the most strategic country in the entire Nsanje world inland Port which has been unused since it was launched in October 2011.

This is the 11th of joint technical meeting on Shire Zambezi waterway project between the countries involved and has been facilitated by the regional trade block, Comesa.

Transport Minister Mia confirmed the development but refused to shed more light until he comes back from the meeting.

The Malawian inland port entails linking to Mozambican ports on the Indian Ocean through the Shire and Zambezi rivers. But the Mozambique government has demanded an inclusive feasibility study on the navigability of the Zambezi and shire waterway before they can buy into the project.

The Shire River borders Malawi and Mozambique to the south and flows into the Zambezi River before feeding into the Indian Ocean via Chinde port in Mozambique. The Malawian inland port which is funded by the Africa Development Bank, World Bank, European Union and the Japanese government is about 238 km from Chinde.

President Bingu wa Mutharika sees the Shire-Zambezi waterway as a key route for Malawian trade and expressed hopes that it would also serve countries in the region.

Malawi has already completed the first phase of the construction of the port of Nsanje, which is being undertaken by Portuguese contractor Mota Engil. Traders have moved into the area around the port, buying up land to set up businesses. The proposed developments include warehouses, office blocks, houses and hotels.

The government says Malawi may save $175m of its total annual import bill when the new port becomes fully operational. The government hopes that the reduced transport costs will facilitate increased production of agricultural crops such as maize, cassava, sweet potatoes and rice.

Malawi’s transport ministry senior bureaucrat, Victor Lungu, who is part of the delegation to Mozambique remain optimistic that a solution to the standoff is within reach.

Labels: , , , , ,


Read more...

Tuesday, November 24, 2009

(NYASATIMES) Mozambique officially dumps Bingu’s Shire-Zambezi waterway

Mozambique officially dumps Bingu’s Shire-Zambezi waterway
By Nyasa Times
Published: November 23, 2009

The government of Mozambique has officially announced that it has withdrawn from the Shire-Zambezi waterway project initiated by Malawi President, Dr Bingu wa Mutharika to establish a shipping route from landlocked Malawi to the Indian Ocean.

The project had been proposed by the Malawian government, in the attempt to open another outlet to the sea for Malawian trade. But the route would run for hundreds of kilometres though Mozambican territory, and is thus entirely dependent on Mozambican authorisation.

Mozambican Foreign Minister, Oldemiro Baloi, told Radio Mozambique that the project fell through because deadlines for the environmental impact studies had not been respected.

A tripartite memorandum of understanding on the shipping project was signed earlier this year by the Mozambican, Malawian and Zambian Transport Ministers, respectively Paulo Zucula, Khumbo Kachali and Godfrey Lungwangwa. But it was dependent on a favourable outcome to the environmental studies.

A Zimbabwean consortium was hired to carry out the studies, but Mozambican officials soon began to doubt the competence of the consortium. Months passed with no sign of the studies, and Baloi declared that this violation of the deadlines led Mozambique to withdraw from the project.

Relations with Malawi had already cooled due to groundless claims that a fuel shortage in Malawi was caused by congestion in the Mozambican ports of Beira and Nacala.

Managers of both ports promptly denied the allegation, and suggested that the real problem was Malawi’s shortage of foreign exchange.

A nationwide power cut on Friday was the latest symptom of Malawi’s economic malaise, and over the past week there have even been interruptions to the broadcasts of Malawian state radio and television.–Allafrica.com

Labels: , , ,


Read more...