Monday, November 14, 2011

Typhoid on the rise in Kalabo

Typhoid on the rise in Kalabo
By Masuzyo Chakwe
Mon 14 Nov. 2011, 14:00 CAT

THE number of typhoid cases in Kalabo has increased from 78 to 82, says the Ministry of Health. Spokesperson Dr Rueben Mbewe said yesterday that so far, 34 patients were still undergoing treatment. Dr Mbewe said Kalabo had recorded an increase in the number of cases of patients presenting with sudden onset of fever.

He said the first case was recorded at Kalabo District Hospital on October 24, and since then, there had been 82 admissions. Dr Mbewe said the disease was affecting all age groups but the majority were those over the age of 15. He said there had been no deaths recorded so far.

Dr Mbewe said the symptoms of the disease were not specific but the common ones were headaches, poor appetite and general weakness, with or without diarrhoea.

He said the patients were coming from Kalabo Boma and Yuka Mission areas.

Dr Mbewe said laboratory investigations confirmed that the condition was typhoid, a waterborne disease.

He said the source of the outbreak appeared to be contaminated water from Luanginga River.

Dr Mbewe explained that typhoid fever was a bacterial disease caused by ingestion of contaminated food and water.

He said the symptoms may mimic those of malaria but infection may result in severe complications, including intestinal perforation and anaemia.

Dr Mbewe said prevention of typhoid was based on access to safe water, proper sanitation and hygienic food handling and preparation.

He urged the public to maintain the highest level of hygiene to ensure that all drinking water was boiled or chlorinated and that only food that was hygienically prepared was consumed.

Dr Mbewe said hand hygiene must be maintained at all times and all patients with symptoms of typhoid fever must be taken to the nearest health centre immediately.

Labels: , ,


Read more...

Monday, November 01, 2010

(LUSAKATIMES) Zambia needs health more than military-minister

Zambia needs health more than military-minister
Sunday, October 31, 2010, 7:47

HEALTH minister Kapembwa Simbao has supported numerous calls by the public to trim down the budgetary allocation to the Zambia defence forces and channeling the excess to the health sector. Mr Simbao told Radio Phoenix that demands by the public were justifiable because Zambia was not at war with any nation but with killer diseases.

“The demands are justifiable, there is need to give more money to the health sector, Zambia has been enjoying relative peace and it is not necessary to give more funding to the defence forces when the people in the country are not healthy.”

“Zambia is at war with HIV, TB, malaria and other communicable diseases, you can be poor with good health, that’s fine, but if you are a billionaire and your health is poor then you are done,” Mr Simbao said.

He said his ministry needed K3 trillion in order to run effectively.

Callers to a Radio Phoenix call-in health programme last week demanded for a reduction to the ministry of defence saying the soldiers did not need the type of arms they posses because Zambia was a peaceful country.

“We don’t need our soldiers to be carrying all those AK47 rifles on the streets of a country which is not even at war. This country is at war fighting diseases, so we need to see medical troops; doctors and nurses with stethoscopes,” said one of the callers to the programme.

Last month, finance minister Situmbeko Musokotwane announced an 8.2 per cent budgetary allocation to the ministry of health from the K21 trillion national budget.

Meanwhile Health spokesperson Dr Rueben Mbewe says the World Health Organisation (WHO) has given the ministry H1N1 influenza vaccines.

Dr Mbewe said the vaccines would be distributed starting tomorrow November 1st 2010 in order to eradicate and prevent the fast spreading flu.

Labels: , , , ,


Read more...